BRITISH GAS COVER , IS IT WORTH IT ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most of my friends have british gas cover and think its great but im thinking £15 a month is a bit of a rip off ! . Ive had my baxi 105e for 5 years and its broke down 2 times once the pcb and once a ch sensor , i fixed both with thanks to diynot but anything to do with water or gas would be too much for me. is it worth it or is an engineer cheaper ?

Sponsored Links
12 months at £15 per month is £180 or to call out BG for a one off fix is £156.. Don't for get that after a few years BG will insist that the system is flushed at your cost and then when the boiler gets elderly they'll then say that your boiler is too old.. If your installation is a good one then keep your money in the bank... if it is a bodge job then give it to BG or have one of the many VERY good installers that are out and about sort it all out for you.

Its worth it if you have no idea and have a sh#te boiler and its not worth it if you have a good boiler and access to a half decent guy if it does play up...
I fit 105 he new systems for a lot of people already on contract and its amazing how many still want to pay contract,
When you say it is not far off a thousand quid for the next five years and explain and chances are very remote off boiler breaking down and if it did chances are it will only be once in next 5 years and repair would be no more than £150 if board or gas valve.
They soon cancel the contract ,,when i first started it was £26 a year to be on contract.

The trouble is BG right off gas boilers for simple things to get the commision on a new boiler

Sponsored Links
£168 QUID IN NORTHANTS/LEICS.. BG used to have 2 prices and they where identified as inside M25 and out side but i kid you not they used to class upto leicester as inside M25 . Used to have some fun changing computer pricing everyday

bg cost is £168 in norfolk. But so far 3 customers who i've recommened to get BG on the one off charge to replace parts as i would have been more expensive have refused to do the job once they have seen the problem. It seems they are only interested in the thermocouple replacement jobs etc

Yep £156 in the Crewe area..

Of course £156 for a new thermocouple is a good deal for BG plus there is a good marketing opportunity too.. Thermocouple = Old boiler so "Its time for a new boiler sir, yes we'd be delighted to give you a competitive quote" A lot of the older folk round here still see BG as the "Gas Board" and so trust them without question..

gaz just scrap your boiler and get a baxi platinum fitted for maybe £1200ish and you get a 5 year warrenty and its more efficent than yours . :LOL:

£1200ish and you get a 5 year warrenty
Or £2000+ and NO warranty if you don't get it serviced every year or have a sludge issue...

How do you know if you have a sludge issue ? i get my boiler serviced yearly it only takes him 15 mins he hoovers the inside , dont think he checked whats inside the rads !

Ah well, you KNOW, beyond the SLIGHTEST doubt :rolleyes: when your BG man says
"You need a powerflush or I won't mend your boiler. £650 please"

bg cost is £168 in norfolk. But so far 3 customers who i've recommened to get BG on the one off charge to replace parts as i would have been more expensive have refused to do the job once they have seen the problem. It seems they are only interested in the thermocouple replacement jobs etc

They will only replace one part and approx 1 hour to diag and 1 hour to fit.

Anything with multi parts and lots of other issues would prob be charged extra.

As a previous thread has pointed out, there is no time limit on the call out, just whether the BG engineer can be bothered :eek:

I have also recommended BG lately for a couple of jobs and they couldn't/wouldn't attend until mid/end January :eek:

Snb, I take it you are snb that I see in Plumbs?

Dave reason why BG won`t call till mid jan is they are looking after there contract customers at this time of year(and rightly so) and using chargeable repairs to fill in gaps .
Got them out 3 times leading up to xmas and had no problem at all with time or costs each time expensive boards and saved customer money.
And they will change more than 1 part providing both parts are related to same fault , what they won`t do is fix multiple faults with parts and rightly so as this is not what they advertise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back