British Gas RC2 Heating system not working

I know this in an old post, but i think I may have the answer for this. We tried everything suggested here and was about to pull my hair out, but then noticed that one of the connections in the battery draw had gone a bit green with mild corrosion.

I cleaned this off and all of the other metal connections in the battery draws, and gently bent out all the connections to make sure they were making a good connection with the fresh batteries. I also swapped the drawers over so that the one which had the worse corrosion was now contoling the LCD rather than the transmitter.

Then tried the re-learning procedure again.

All was working at it should once again.

Hope this helps someone

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Interested to see this discussion, I am having exactly the same problem...

My thermostat has been working perfectly since it was installed 5 years ago, a couple of months ago battery signal flashing so replaced those and worked well again now suddenly the last few days not doing the usual timer etc. Have followed all possible re-set/re-format procedures, still no luck, although sometimes it clicks into gear for an afternoon or something, very dodgy...

Boiler etc functioning properly, have it on in 'override' mode.

I reckon the box is completely caput, like wireless routers I guess they just go after a while, need replacing, so I called British Gas (who fitted it) and asked if they can sell me a new one, no chance, they need to send out an engineer. Ridiculous waste of money, like sending out an engineer to fit a new telephone...

So now I'm trying to buy one of the company who makes them, Invensys, but they aren't answering their phone today...

I wonder whether other wireless devices, radios, microwaves, might interfere with the communication...? I can't believe it would be the case, otherwise these days everyone would have the same problem. But if you have any tips or ideas let me know.

Otherwise I guess I shall have to pay British Gas to replace something which they supplied which I could fix myself if their equipment worked properly!

Discounts, price freezes, saving you money... Don't believe it - they all make their money somehow...

Thanks for this, I will try that now, sounds like a connection might be the problem as it works sometimes and not others...

Many thanks.

I know this in an old post, but i think I may have the answer for this. We tried everything suggested here and was about to pull my hair out, but then noticed that one of the connections in the battery draw had gone a bit green with mild corrosion.

I cleaned this off and all of the other metal connections in the battery draws, and gently bent out all the connections to make sure they were making a good connection with the fresh batteries. I also swapped the drawers over so that the one which had the worse corrosion was now contoling the LCD rather than the transmitter.

Hope this helps someone

Sponsored Links
Amazingly I had the same problem but would never have noticed the corrosion on those connectors (just one in my case) unless you had suggested this.

I now have perfect thermostat operation!

Thanks for your eagle eyes in spotting that and for posting!

Hope this helps someone

Hi,

We've got a British Gas RC2 heating system (unfortunately we don't have a manual as the previous owners of the house didn't leave it).

Its supposed to work wirelessly between the control by the boiler, and the thermostat. At the moment, they're not 'talking' to each other (there is a red light by 'receive alarm').

Someone else has told me to take the batteries out of the thermostat, let it go dead. When its dead put one battery back in, press the 2 'learn' buttons on the wall control and then when thats flashing put the other battery in.

This doesn't seem to be working (also a little confused as there are 4 batteries) - when I press the 2 'learn' buttons the red light goes off, but it comes back on as soon as I let go.

Any other suggestions please?

Many thanks.

Jane

Jane:
1/ power fuse spur off and pull both drawers down from the stat
2/when display has faded power fuse spur back on
3/ on the receiver press the top button (over ride)and the green light will come on & the boilershould fire
4/press the lower button followed by the upper button..hold both depressed, the red light should flash for about 2 secs and then go out... it is now in learn mode
5/ with the digistat in your hand stand at least 1 metre away from receiver and close the right hand drawer followed by the left hand drawer. As you do this the red light should flash for about 7 secs and go out.
6/ all now recommissioned just set the temp and you're away
4/ press

Hi,

We've got a British Gas RC2 heating system (unfortunately we don't have a manual as the previous owners of the house didn't leave it).

Its supposed to work wirelessly between the control by the boiler, and the thermostat. At the moment, they're not 'talking' to each other (there is a red light by 'receive alarm').

Someone else has told me to take the batteries out of the thermostat, let it go dead. When its dead put one battery back in, press the 2 'learn' buttons on the wall control and then when thats flashing put the other battery in.

This doesn't seem to be working (also a little confused as there are 4 batteries) - when I press the 2 'learn' buttons the red light goes off, but it comes back on as soon as I let go.

Any other suggestions please?

Many thanks.

Jane

Jane:
1/ power fuse spur off and pull both drawers down from the stat
2/when display has faded power fuse spur back on
3/ on the receiver press the top button (over ride)and the green light will come on & the boilershould fire
4/press the lower button followed by the upper button..hold both depressed, the red light should flash for about 2 secs and then go out... it is now in learn mode
5/ with the digistat in your hand stand at least 1 metre away from receiver and close the right hand drawer followed by the left hand drawer. As you do this the red light should flash for about 7 secs and go out.
6/ all now recommissioned just set the temp and you're away
4/ press

Brilliant...my heating wasn't working today and I followed the advice in this thread, replacing the batteries, discovering one had leaked and so cleaning the contacts and the heating is back on. Thanks very much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back