British Gas Service visits.

My experience is that the majority of BG engineers are just plain incompetent. I have met some exceptions to the rule and these engineers were very knowledgable - I coulnd't understand how they could work for such a dishonest company.

A recent example: attempted to carry out a LGSR at a tenanted property. The Biasi 24S would not modulate - just max burner or nothing.

BG called out to repair (under contract). I went back - still had the same problem, the teanant said they had spent all day there. Called out BG again (different engineer). Spoke to him at lenght and described the problem - told him the checks to be carried out and likely fix. Got a call from estate agents a few hours later - BG had told them no fault found. Waste of space.

Sponsored Links
"""A recent example: attempted to carry out a LGSR at a tenanted property. The Biasi 24S would not modulate - just max burner or nothing."""

So why did you not fix it on the spot Geoff? It would have taken either four minutes or 11 minutes or 16 minutes depending on which of the three faults it was! That assumes you had the two spare parts you would have needed for the second or third fault.

Tony

there are 8 hours in a day and each completed breakdown gives them 1.1 hours of time.
Does that include travelling to the next job, parking and getting from wherever they find a meter, to the address?
If that little overhead takes half an hour, that's 1.6 hours per job, = 5 jobs a day?

What seems to annoy people most is
a) not being kept informed and
b) no sensible action after a cock-up, like a phone call and being "first call" if an appointment's missed.

A lady paid me well to drive miles to change a diaphragm (10 minutes), after taking 3 half-days off work for no-show BG boiler repairers.

BG are getting a lot of simple stuff wrong, and I'm doing quite well out of it. :D

ChrisR said:
there are 8 hours in a day and each completed breakdown gives them 1.1 hours of time.
Does that include travelling to the next job, parking and getting from wherever they find a meter, to the address?
If that little overhead takes half an hour, that's 1.6 hours per job, = 5 jobs a day?

What seems to annoy people most is
a) not being kept informed and
b) no sensible action after a cock-up, like a phone call and being "first call" if an appointment's missed.

A lady paid me well to drive miles to change a diaphragm (10 minutes), after taking 3 half-days off work for no-show BG boiler repairers.

BG are getting a lot of simple stuff wrong, and I'm doing quite well out of it. :D

they get 1.17 of credit for one repair. in reality the dispatch expects 40 mins per repair. most engineers will actually try to break it up into 1 hour a job no matter what that job is. travel time is included in the job credit which is a big problem for some areas. you get no credit for not completing a job, if you had to come back with parts for instance. this creates a problem as a lot of the poorer sngineers will rather complete the job to get the credit even if they are not convinced its fixed. the average amount of calls for an engineer in this area is 7-10 travel dependant

i imagine that in some areas the engineers will be under heavy pressure to complete jobs after hours. that doesnt happen much in this area though.

if a job is missed it will be noted on their laptop that it was a missed appointment and musnt be cancelled .

Sponsored Links
There is no point in an engineer closing down a job just to get a credit because if it comes back within 3 weeks for any reason he loses the job count anyway. Nickso roughly what area are you in

namsag said:
There is no point in an engineer closing down a job just to get a credit because if it comes back within 3 weeks for any reason he loses the job count anyway. Nickso roughly what area are you in

That's not strictly true though namsag. Without getting too technical and boring all those who aren't and never have been Bg, recall jobs count towards gross performance but detract from bpi.

ollski said:
namsag said:

That's not strictly true though namsag. Without getting too technical and boring all those who aren't and never have been Bg, recall jobs count towards gross performance but detract from bpi.

correct ollski.

gross and bpi are different. a recall is still worth the same although it affects bpi along with a lot of other factors. i forget what the required recall rate is......15% if im right

BG are getting a lot of simple stuff wrong, and I'm doing quite well out of it. :D[/quote]

I just changed kitchen taps in Thirsk for £150 because the two previous firms of clown said it wasn't possible. It was very difficult and now my back and neck are suffering but where there is a £150 subsidy to a naf Alpha call there is a way. I combined it with an Alpha job in the Dales for which I get £140. Sadly the other two Alpha jobs were no shows.

The reason I didn't fix the Biasi was simply that the landlord was paying BG for a maintenance contract. I do the LGSR because the agent can't trust BG to leave the installation safe (after several near death experiences with dodgy BG safety inspections).

Gasguru said:
The reason I didn't fix the Biasi was simply that the landlord was paying BG for a maintenance contract. I do the LGSR because the agent can't trust BG to leave the installation safe (after several near death experiences with dodgy BG safety inspections).

lol, one minute they do no more than point analyser at them the next they are leaving them unsafe :rolleyes: , surely if that were the problem she would cancel the maintenance contract not the lgsc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back