Brittony Combi Problems (Any surprises?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had loads of problems with my brittony comib boiler over the last year and a half. Changed the pump, changed a pressure switch thingy (can you tell i'm no plumber) and also had to replace a cracked part.

Today when I was going to do the washing up i turned the tap on to get hot water. The boiler is firing up, but no hot water is ever coming through. Where is all my heat going from my boiler?

The central heating still works fine. I've checked the thermostat, thats fine. The pump obviously works as the central heating works fine.

When I last had hot water problems my boiler wouldn't even fire up, but now it does and it's really confusing me!

Sponsored Links
Where is all my heat going from my boiler?
Into the CH pipes. The diverter valve is not operating as it should, probably sticking in DHW position, possibly failed. Common fault on old Britony combis (assuming yours is not newer SE type -is it?)

It's a Brittony Combi 80 if that helps any. Where is this diverter valve? And, more importantly, how much will it cost me? lol

Cheers for the speedy reply!!

Diverter valves are about £40. Having all these probs suggest contaminated system water.

Sponsored Links
So, how does my system have contaminated water then? It's been drained about 30 times over the last year, so if it's contaminated then it must be a dodgy filter or something (if boilers even have these)

Thanks for the reply

Just draining the boiler to replace componants will not get rid of thick sludge it clings to the internal pipework. Only trying to give advise you dont have to listen to me i have only been working on them for 6 years.

Woah, i was in no way not believing you, i was merely asking how it got contaminated water in it! I don't understand boilers so i'm bound to ask questions.

How can i truely flush the pipes then, in order to make them clean? Also, what part is the diverter valve? Is it sometimes known as the 80/100 3 way valve? Because if it is, I think that might be the bit I replaced before, which sucks!

Cheers

Paul

That's the one. If you're planning to do it yourself, it's all straightforward (follow manual instructions) except that the diverter valve engages in the main manifold with a "bayonet" action - you have to twist it a little to release or engage it.

Cheers chrishutt. If i remember correctly, that part comes in two bits, and I fit the other half to it about 6 months ago, it was cracked. Remember thinking I was lucky because the side I replaced was the cheaper side. But I guess now i'll have to buy the more expensive bit.

Is there any way of perhaps resurrecting my old part? Are there any checks that I can do in order to check that this is the problem for definate?

Cheers for your help!!

The diverter valve comes as one part, although you can detach the motor from the valve body. I don't think it's all that expensive - £30?.

Of course you should check through the fault finding procedure in the manual to determine the fault. If you don't find the Britony instructions very clear, get hold of the Baxi Genesis instructions - the Genesis is virtually the same boiler but the instructions are much clearer.

You could take out the old diverter valve and detach the motor, pulling out the inside of the valve. If you clean the inside of the valve and perhaps apply a little silicone grease, it might then work, at least for a while.

You're a true gentleman! Ha. Thanks for all the advice, i'll get onto it asap, prob tomorrow evening. At least the shower is electric, so we can wash up still!

Thanks for advice about instruction booklets too, the britony one is rubbish!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back