Brown water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm refitting my bathroom at the moment, so turning the water off quite a bit.

When I do, I leave a tap open downstairs and then open one upstairs to drain the system (combi boiler) so I don't get wet when cutting pipes.

When the system refills, I get brown water for a few seconds from my hot tap.

Is this normal? Or a symptom of something I need checking on my boiler?

Sponsored Links
Brown water from hot taps could be related to the expansion vessel if a pressurised system. Check if water comes out of the air top up valve.

Sponsored Links
I thought the expansion vessel was just for the heating side. Learn something new everyday!

I'll take a look

Some combis come with DHW preheat which do have a small EV but doubt that one supplied with the boiler would suffer from this.

I thought the expansion vessel was just for the heating side. Learn something new everyday!

I'll take a look
Don’t bother, highly doubt it’ll be that on a combi.

I thought it could be the air that gets into the system stirring up crap, but not sure exactly where the crap could be coming from, and why it's now happened 3 times in a couple of weeks

Just to add to this, after another round of plumbing today, the boiler now refuses to heat water.

No error codes, just doesn't fire up when tap turned on.

Tried the purge program, but no joy

I'm guessing all the cr@p that is making my water brown has buggered something up, or is symptomatic of something falling apart.

It could be the crap, but it would need to be on the cold. Doubt it’s an airlock, and purge relates to the heating circuit. What type of work has been carried out? Have you opened up the stopcock fully?

Apparently the purge on my boiler has a hot water and heating purge. Least according to the icons and the manual I found online :unsure:

Mainly rerouting pipes, installing stop cocks.

Pressure and flow are normal, as is the cold, just no heat

Apparently the purge on my boiler has a hot water and heating purge. Least according to the icons and the manual I found online :unsure:
That refers to the plate heat exchanger circuit, but it’s still the heating water.
Pressure and flow are normal, as is the cold, just no heat
Are you saying no heat, as in it’s not heating water, or no central heating?

Heating works, no hot water from taps. Pressure and flow of water from the taps is as I would expect.

Stopcock fully open, new pipework traced to ensure we haven't swapped hot and cold over.

Can hear water flowing through boiler

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If you know how to access the D codes, check D35 and D70.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back