Brown water

Sponsored Links
Hypothetically, could having the cold and hot feeds switched round cause this?

We wouldn't notice any difference in the taps, as they get the cold feed before the potential switch. I did trace them, but may go and double check.

It would still usually fire the boiler, just not deliver hot water. If the boiler’s not seeing the demand, then it’s either the diverter valve (this is what I’ve asked you to check on the codes) or the flow sensor not turning (potential crap in system or knackered sensor).

Sponsored Links
Having a play, and d36 is reading 0l/min even with the tap on. Would that point to the flow sensor being dirty?

Given I've had to clean out every tap filter today because they were all blocked with crappie suggests it maybe jammed? Or am I way off track?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Having a play, and d36 is reading 0l/min even with the tap on. Would that point to the flow sensor being dirty?

Given I've had to clean out every tap filter today because they were all blocked with crappie suggests it maybe jammed? Or am I way off track?
Yep, seems logical

Plumbers been, after isolating the cold water feed into the boiler he was getting mains pressure from the hot, so has diagnosed a cross pipe somewhere.

Argh!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Apologies for the bum steer, thought it would usually fire the boiler

One question to help me narrow down where the cross feed is occurring.

If all of my hot taps have a lower flow compared with the cold taps (as they have to go through the heat exchanger), does that suggest that the crossover is after the last tap in the system?

Surely if it was before a tap, the hot would have a flow and pressure the same as the rest of the cold taps (and that corresponding cold tap would have low flow).

Crossover is either a faulty mixer tap/shower or you have plumbed it in wrong (which could be the case with 0lpm), so a cold going to hot and vice versa

We did a lot of rerouting of pipes, and even with the only new tap isolated, we have the same issue. Does the above make sense regarding flows from taps, or is it not that simple?

I think the crossover is after the last taps on the hot/cold feeds, so I think that means we will see what we see- all cold taps are getting cold water straight from mains, as they are joined to it before cross over. High flow, high pressure.

All hot taps are getting water going through the boiler backwards, as the cold feed crosses to the hot after the last taps, so lower flow, as its going through the heat exchanger.

This suggests to me the cross over is after the last hot tap (and I know exactly where), or does it not work like that?

Just to let anyone know who is following the saga, found the crossed pipe, it was a simple error, and took 20min to fix.

Still no insight into why I had brown water when I turned the hot water back on, but the pipe crossing may have cleaned the heat exchanger :LOL:

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back