Brushless motors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all,
I have a brushless motor on my air compressor at home, the other day it was running and then just stopped. :( when i turned it on it just makes a loud humming noise but doesnt run. :confused: The motor has a 40uF capacitor fitted on it, how do I check the capacitor without a cap tester, I,ve buzzed the motor and the winding seems to be OK, do you think the capacitor has gone. :eek:

Many thanks

:)

Sponsored Links
its an induction motor, i doubt its the capacitor, its probably the internal windings.

what did you "buzz" the motor with?

if you "buzz a capacitor " it should work, then slowly fade as it becomes charged

When I say buzzed, I mean I,m getting continuity through the windings, forgotten the reading. Do you think the capacitor is a run capacitor, ie the windings require the capacitor in series or parralell to allow it to run. I'll pobably try a new cap as there only cheep and if that doesnt work then I know the motor is kapput.

Cheers for your help

Most induction motors have a (smaller) starting winding that's connected in series with a capacitor and a switch. The switch opens when the motor has started otherwise the starting winding would burn out.

The most likely fault is the switch is stuck in the open position.

Sponsored Links
This motor only has the one windind and no external or centrifugal switch, the motor you are suggesting is like a fridge motor, me being a fridge engineer i know this type, I just havnt come across a 3Kw motor like this before with only one capacitor and no brushes.

Cheers anyhow ;)

If you are able to do so and with care, remove motor and give the shaft a twist when on and it should start spinning if so the cappy needs replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back