Yes I have some here.

DSC_0942.jpg

DSC_0943.jpg

DSC_0944.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yup definitely 3 phase converted to run on single phase

so it may be the capacitor
the neutral will be common to either black or grey check the soundness of these connections on the cap
if you have a multimeter you can do a quick test on the windings (some will measure capacitance too)

where is the machine located?
if you have 3 phase power available then the motor will run much better on 3 phase

Matt

All I have is 240v here.
I will dig out my tester and have a look and get a new capacitor as I don't think they cost that much.

Thanks Matt

All I have is 240v here.
I will dig out my tester and have a look and get a new capacitor as I don't think they cost that much.

Thanks Matt
No probs and the cap will cost you around £7 from RS components here

Make sure you get one designed for continuous duty (running not starting)

Matt

Sponsored Links
All I have is 240v here.

Thanks Matt
No probs and the cap will cost you around £7 from RS components here

Make sure you get one designed for continuous duty (running not starting)

Matt

I bought one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250717035891?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The same as the one in that white box. I just hope it fixes it but looking at the motor there isn't realy that much that can go wrong with them.

Thanks for your help.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As I said in my earlier post, did you check that bothe weights are in the same plane i.e. downwards, as i can see the front one is hanging at the bottom, like wise make sure the one at the other end is in the same angle, if one rotates as I can see if the nut gets loose it can slide off its intened angle, as for capacitance, I do know some central heating water pumps stop running fast when a cap goes down, they spin so slow, and most I came across use 2.2uF 400Volts, they are roughly the size of a C size battery, you could try to undo the compartment where the cap is mounted and the value will be printed on it with the voltage rating. I am guessing for a motor this size you will probably need a higher capacitance possibly up to 10uF 400Volts and thats going to be fairly large like a D size cell.

Sorry I missed this. The waights are in the same position on ether side of the motor.

That motor is dual wound. This means it is designed to run either at 400V in star or 230V in delta.
The delta can be achieved via a single phase input invertor which creates a 230V three phase output. This would also enable speed control.
Your budget might not allow for this though ;)

If that capacitor doesn't sort it out, then might even be worth trying to offset the two weights by 90 degrees, Just thought for a moment, should both the weights really be in the same angle of plane, with respect to the shaft?

Or perhaphs one of the weights should be offset to create a twist and impact motion, I don't know, I am just guessing and it might pay to try it.

Another thing is, I have often played around with smaller DC electric motors with unblanced weights at the shaft, my wife is hearing impaired, she has one of these viberator pads that she puts under her pillow, to wake her up!

(This might now turn into an embarrasing subject....does it remind one of a viberator!!!) lol

Yes, so once it went wrong, and I tried fixing it, the die cast weight simply could not be screwed on to the shaft as the threads in the die cast material had stripped , so the shaft just turned, so I made another similar weight using a piece of metal, and drilled and tapped it and attached it to the shaft, I then noted that my weight I had cut was bigger as I still had to trim some material off the weight to fit it in the case, so the heavier the weight the slower the motor speed, thats what i noticed, so may be you have to arrange the two weights such that you get reasonable impact as well as the motor speed. Just a thought.

Another fact, if you take a hammer for instance, if you strike it slow, its impact will be less, if you struck it fast, its impact will be higher due to higher kinetic enrgy, similarly, the speed of the shaft may have a proportional response to the impact, but by having the two weights too heavy on one end of the shaft, it may impair the motor from reaching its most effective speed, so before ordering that cap, I would try and off set the weights, and see where is the best combination for the offset angle.

That motor is dual wound. This means it is designed to run either at 400V in star or 230V in delta.

no its not, it's a dual voltage motor, description is correct though (for dual voltage)
dual wound motors are different again
but yes you could drive it three phase delta through a VSD, if the op has some spare dosh

Matt

I wouldn't have a clue as to how to wire this particular thing, you will need instructions as these are programmable units, but is this really what you need for your motor? i would have thought you would just try a new cap and get away with it or as I suggested try and adjust one of the weights to see if that improves viberations. Too heavy a load can inhibit the motor speed and so I would have had a go at one of the weights to start with.

I should have the new cap tomorrow and I don't think the weights have slipped as they are too tight to move and I have found this picture of the motor and they show the weights in the same position. But if the cap dosn't sort it I will have a mess with the weights.

serie_mvsi_s90.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back