BT line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The phone line to my house used to be fixxed to a ring on the wall of the house, but when BT came & replaced the pole at the end of the road, a few weeks ago, they fixxed the line to a ring on a fancy piece of wood which was under the gutter.
So on Saturday in the wind the phone line & the fancy piece of wood came down.

Here is a picture how the phone line is at the moment:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/mdbalson/DSC00268.jpg

So on Saturday after five phone calls to different departments of BT, they said they would come out on Tuesday to fix it, as this was the quickest they could come out :!: :mad:

Sponsored Links
When we wanted our master socket fixing they sent someone next day. If the socket is the other side of that wall where the wire goes in, pull the wires out of the back so they are on the ground and then ring them from a mobile and tell them you have no phone service. :LOL:

Nah only kidding, its not posing anyone any real danger, just accept tuesday.

mdbalson, I am a BT engineer and I all I can say is that is shocking! The engineer(s) responsible for that should be sacked, or at least an unexpected sack beating!

The rules now state quite clearly that all dropwires must be secured to an Eyebolt which is driven into the customers BRICK wall, not a piece of wood, regardless of how fancy it is. Same with fascia's, we are not allowed to attach them to there either anymore.

Whoever comes out next, make sure they are aware of it and that they do the job to the quality standard. Oh god, I sound like my line manager!!! :eek:

AlanB27 said:
The rules now state quite clearly that all dropwires must be secured to an Eyebolt which is driven into the customers BRICK wall
What are you supposed to do if there isn't a brick wall?

Sponsored Links
AlanB27 said:
mdbalson, I am a BT engineer and I all I can say is that is shocking! The engineer(s) responsible for that should be sacked, or at least an unexpected sack beating!

The rules now state quite clearly that all dropwires must be secured to an Eyebolt which is driven into the customers BRICK wall, not a piece of wood, regardless of how fancy it is. Same with fascia's, we are not allowed to attach them to there either anymore.

Whoever comes out next, make sure they are aware of it and that they do the job to the quality standard. Oh god, I sound like my line manager!!! :eek:

It used to be fixed to a eyebolt in the wall, but the engineer who did who wasreplacing the pole in the road, said that the regs now say that the eyebolt , should be two brick in, but the current one was ownly one brick on. So instead of putting in a new eyebolt two bricks in he fixed the line to an old loop fixed to the wood.

Also that same engineer when he replaced the pole, cut down all the unused lines in the road. (i.e. I have 2 lines coming into the house, but only 1 is used at the moment, but now if I want to use the 2nd line, BT are going to have to run a new wire from the pole to the 2nd master socket, as the 2nd line got cut down by that engineer.

i.e.2 . My next neighbour uses telewest for his phone at the moment, but if he wanted to use BT again, BT would have to run a new wire from the pole to his BT master socket, as his only BT line got cut down by that engineer.)

Is it normal for BT engineers, when replacing a pole, to cut down all unused lines, even if it is the only BT line to a house :?:

I wouldnt say its "normal" persay, but its certainly not unusual. More often than not on new provisions, the dropwire is old and needs replaced anyway. The fact that they replaced the pole suggests to me that its been there a long time, and the dropwires were more than likely old and brittle. Its not considered a big expense running a new dropwire for a new or existing customer.

By the way, if you require a 2nd line, you wont need an additional dropwire, as the rules state that both pairs can be used, but only in a situation where both are being used by the same premises.

plugwash said:
AlanB27 said:
The rules now state quite clearly that all dropwires must be secured to an Eyebolt which is driven into the customers BRICK wall
What are you supposed to do if there isn't a brick wall?

If there isnt a brick wall then you use what is call a bracket 22, which is a three holed triangular shaped bracket for wood.

AlanB27 said:
I wouldnt say its "normal" persay, but its certainly not unusual. More often than not on new provisions, the dropwire is old and needs replaced anyway. The fact that they replaced the pole suggests to me that its been there a long time, and the dropwires were more than likely old and brittle. Its not considered a big expense running a new dropwire for a new or existing customer.

The pole was hit by a car & that was why it was replaced. The dropwires were not replaced.

AlanB27 said:
By the way, if you require a 2nd line, you wont need an additional dropwire, as the rules state that both pairs can be used, but only in a situation where both are being used by the same premises.

The Maser Socket for the 1st line goes into the master bedroom, & the Master socket for the 2nd line is in the side back bedroom.

The 1st Line Master Socket has 3 wires going to it at the moment, they are the dropwire, the wire going to the loft for all the exstentions, & the wire for the ASDL socket in the loft. So the 2 holes on the side of the Master socket are used.

mdbalson said:
The 1st Line Master Socket has 3 wires going to it at the moment, they are the dropwire, the wire going to the loft for all the exstentions, & the wire for the ASDL socket in the loft. So the 2 holes on the side of the Master socket are used.
that won't sto them adding wiring to it! Holes can be made bigger you know

mdbalson said:
The pole was hit by a car & that was why it was replaced. The dropwires were not replaced.

Dropwire only uses 2 wires to the master socket, not 3. If you require a second line, meaning a brand new line, they would use the other pair, and terminate it into a new master socket.

The wire may have to come down for safety reasons,if the cannot get the correct height they would have to put a carrier pole near to your home,but if the line was dead there is o need for this ......the new wire really should be fixed to a eyebolt in brickwork or at least a small triangle bracket fixed into structured timber but that is shoddy to say the least...................was this Bt engineers or contractors as alot of poling work is now covered by contractors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back