Bt master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help please.
My phone stopped working so bought new bt master.
The old master has the 2 blue wires going to the back marked A & B. I also have another socket. Can someone tell me how to wire master and also the socket
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well the phone had been working fine then all of a sudden stopped. I unplugged the front and plugged into test socket and it worked. I checked all wiring and re wired and still no joy. So bought a new master but have reworded so many times in different orders that I just need to start all over again
Thanks

I unplugged the front and plugged into test socket and it worked.
So the master socket including the test socket was OK. You only needed to replace the front half if that was faulty.

Remove all your DIY connections from the front plate. Put it back on and if the phone works when plugged into the socket on the front panel then the front half is almost certainly OK. The punch down connector for the internal wiring may have been damaged at some time by use of the wrong tool and that damage can mean the connection fails days or months later.

Sponsored Links
The phone didn't work in the front socket only in the test socket. This is why I wang to replace whole lot but just need some advise on the wiring to make sure I get it right.

If the front plate is part of an original BT or OpenReach master socket then BT are likely to replace it, possibly free of charge.

I have bought a new one so just need advise on the wiring. I think bt wired the other socket aswell as the wiring to the extension is outside. I have put blue wires to A & B then on the master there is 2,3&5, which wires go where and on the other socket I have 3 pairs how do they get wired?
Thanks

It would have been far easier to report the fault to BT and let them fix it. All you seem to have achieved now is to screw up your wiring and will probably still have to call them out when you can't fix it which may now cost you as you have messed with the wiring and socket.

Find the incoming wire from BT.If you have not removed it, identify the A&B pair. If you have, you will need to try various pairs ( probably blue/blue white or orange/orange white) and connect them to the back of the back part of the socket on A&B----it does not matter which way round. Then test a phone in the test socket of the back half.
When it works, look at the front half and identify the cable that goes to the extension sockets. You only need to find the wires in that cable that use the 2 &5 connection on the front half. Unfortunately, if you did not note this, you will need to open an extension socket and carefully observe which wire colours are in the 2 & 5.You can leave all the other connection and wires disconnected on modern phones.

Where the wires come into the property to the master the 2 blue wires go to A & B. Not sure which wires have to be wired to the bottom section of the master. I have 1 extension that is all joined together outside in bt box. The extension also needs wiring and not sure which wires go where.
I seem to have tried all options but no joy. I think the problem could be outside in bt bits. I am with sky and they were making it hard work to get someone out, so was trying to sort it myself.

You need to look at what wires are connected in the extension socket then follow those wires back through any joints to work out what the corresponding wires are at the master socket. You can then connect those wires to the master socket.

With the proper equipment this would be easy to trace the wires; may be worthwhile giving in and getting a phone engineer.
I can't understand why you say the extension is connected in some part of BTs cables. The extension circuit should run from the front (lower) half of the master socket, from the 2 & 5 connections.
(NB the front half 2&5 are connected by the push in socket to the A&B on the back half)
If you have got the back half of the master connected to incoming A&B and the phone works from the test socket, then just disconnect all the extension cable
I think you are saying that the extension socket has also been disturbed so you cannot identify which are the (important) 2 & 5 wires. If so, you will get away with disconnectng the extension cable completely at the master and extension and then using ANY two coloured wires to connect 2-2 and 5-5

I have looked at bt box. There is a main cable coming to box and a white cable going through wall to master socket and the extension cable is black and that is joined in the bt box outside. Incoming blue are joined outside and come in to A & B. The orange pair coming into master socket are joined outside to the blue pair that go to extension. The green pair coming to master join the orange pair going to extension. The green going to extension go nowhere. Sorry it's more complex than I thought

With the proper equipment this would be easy to trace the wires; may be worthwhile giving in and getting a phone engineer.
I can't understand why you say the extension is connected in some part of BTs cables. The extension circuit should run from the front (lower) half of the master socket, from the 2 & 5 connections.
However "should" and "do" are not the same thing. Having the wiring from the incoming line to the master socket and the wiring heading off from the master socket to extensions using different pairs in the same cable is not unheard of. Neither is having extensions branching off the wiring before the master socket.

I have 1 extension that is all joined together outside in bt box.
Please confirm if the following statements are true.

There is a "BT box" on the outside of your house.
There are three cables from this box, one that leaves your property overhead or underground, one which goes to the "master socket" and one which goes to the "extension socket".

Assuming these statements are true please tell us.
1: what color wires there are in each cable.
2: what wires are connected together in the "BT box"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back