BU oven/hob wiring reqs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of new kitchen install - I'm planning to install new built under double oven and ceramic hob with power ratings 5.2kW & 6.1kW respectively. Current wiring installation has 6mm supply with 32A MCB for single oven and I am certain that this is not adequate for the new setup.

Is it adequate to replace the run with 10mm supply and upgrade MCB - say to 45A - or do I really need to run an additional 6mm run with separate MCB/switch unit and supply each appliance separately. Obviously prefer first option but want to do right thing

Sponsored Links
So the 10mm upgrade is a complete non starter? Only asking as I dont currently have any spare ways in CU - so would have to upgrade that as well :cry:

Stevee said:
So the 10mm upgrade is a complete non starter? Only asking as I dont currently have any spare ways in CU - so would have to upgrade that as well :cry:

split the meter tails and add a second mini-CU for cooker(s)

Sponsored Links
you can share a cuircuit but with 10mm getting all the wires into the box is tricky and also some of us feel a bit uncomfortable about having appliances on cuircuits breakered higher than the appliance actually needs.

one option is to run a 10mm 45A cuircuit first to a cooker control unit and then to a small CU in a cupboard. This gives better protection for the equipment and plenty of wiring room.

Where there is a circuit with a fixed appliance (as I was told by the IEE), it does not matter if the breaker exceeds the appliance rating by whatever margin as the breaker is not expected to serve its purpose in terms of overcurrent.

IE assuming all else is correct with the circuit, it does not matter if your 20A cooker has a 32A breaker or 40A breaker. Same with showers - a fixed load will not go overcurrent. As long as the breaker is rated at least to the maximum rating of the appliance, of course.

did they just tell you this or did they actually quote the appropriate regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back