Building a brick pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

This is my first post so be gentle, i am looking at building a brick pond with concrete blocks as the inner wall and faced with normal bricks, i am hoping to use a flexible pond liner to line the pond. Has anyone done this that can pass on any tips or ideas, i have seen people using 2 rows of concrete blocks dug into the ground by about 2 foot then backfilling with concrete, some people build a 6 inch concrete base then building straight on top of this, some people using steel ties to hold the bricks together, i have read that much i am now confused :rolleyes:

I am not building a massive pond just about 2m by 1m with a depth of about 80 cm. Any help, pictures or guides will be really appreciated!

John

Sponsored Links
Any of these will work! Which you opt for depends on several factors, not the least of which is: Is the pond to be completely underground, or raised as well?

Also, how good is your brick or block laying skill?

Personally, I would not use a flexible liner. I would render the inside and then waterproof it. Liners have the knack of being awkward at corners and tricky to conceal.

Give us more info on what you are trying to achieve, and you'll get some more answers.

Thanks for the reply, i am looking at having a raised pond, no brick laying skills to speak off but plenty of friends with minimal experience, but if you don't try you don't learn!

John

if youre using a flexible liner, why not consider using new sleepers. works very well for that situation and very easy to do if you have no brickwork skills. Quick and easy

Sponsored Links
Do try and get at least some depth of water below ground level, the temperature changes of the water will not do your fish any good at all. Worst is in teh winter when a bright sunny day will heat the water followed by a hard frost chilling it, having the pond in ground will buffer any temp changes.

I would not normally go for a liner but if your brickwork is not 100% then at least if the brickwork cracks when the pond freezes over at least the liner will keep the water in

The sleeper method is a quick and easy way to a pond and may well be the better option for you. If you build with the sleepers on edge so each one is 250mm high then put a sheet of 50mm Kingspan or Celotex inside this before the liner you will help keep temp change down and the wall will still be thinner than 9" of brick.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back