building an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of building an extension. I have a garden which has a large hill at the back. This hill is broken into about six levels. My architect advised me to get engineering drawings and a certificate from a civil engineer as per retaining walls. The plans and building warrant were passed on these drawings and plans. The company I have doing the work quoted me on these drawings and plans.

From the outset it has always been a factor that I would have to encroach on my neighbours property to build the side retaining wall. When my builder saw the spec for the retaining wall he said it was over the top but accepted the contract. I don't think the builders are cowboys but I believe they are a small company who need to cut corners where possible. I arrived home from work to find them unloading breeze blocks from their van. When I asked if they were for the retaining wall they said yes. I pointed out that the spec called for "B" engineering bricks. I explained that if they built the wall with breeze block building control would tell them to demolish it and rebuild it.

They were not happy with this but complied. They have now said the retaining walls at the other points are going to cos a fortune and have asked for me to get the engineer to reconsider. My question is this. If they have accepted the job based on the drawings which shoed retaining walls all round can I hold them to it?

Sorry this is so long but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you could - then Wembley Stadium and the Millenium Dome would have been built for a fraction of the cost.

If the builders aren't happy - then let them go. Attempting to hold them when they are losing money will be a complete disaster.

engineers are often OTT due to this blame culture society we live in.
however, if your builder has accepted on the basis of a drawing, he should comply with it as shown or discuss alterations before work begins.
usually in my experiance retaining walls are faced with brick if seen and the back of the wall constructed using solid concrete block or even trench block to form a cantalever.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
If you could - then Wembley Stadium and the Millenium Dome would have been built for a fraction of the cost.

If the builders aren't happy - then let them go. Attempting to hold them when they are losing money will be a complete disaster.

Bad examples. Cost overrun came from poor documentation and ongoing changes during construction.

The OP suggests that the builders quoted on an approved drawing that I would hope shows the wall to be built in detail, so the builder is baulking at the idea of a more complex job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back