Building control? a nightmare or just unlucky.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, first post here, but given what I'm starting I'm sure it will be the first of many.

About to move into (providing it all goes through) a house that I intend to renovate. but building control seemed like a bit of a minefield and then when i rang them it just got worse. speaking to a friend who's halfway through a much bigger renovation he seemed to be getting on a lot better with the local BCO, but he's also in a different county to me.

Im not in the house yet, so things are liable to change, but a short list of things i want to do.

Boiler moving from utility to the garage.

the utility which currently has a room of it WC/handbasin in it moving round and possibly adding a shower room in there too (theres currently a self contained shower in the garage, where id be wanting to put the boiler, but believe it was never signed off by building control).

removal of an internal none load bearing stud wall.

previously the owner had when they had their extension done had the lounge/diner knocked through into one massive room, i intend to erect a new stud wall there to put it back to how it was. (doesn't effect fire exits as the removal of the stud wall above would make a huge kitchen diner, with 2 external doors).

installation of a log burner/2, most likely with the building of a fake chimney breast( block built till the level of the double flue) then either boarded or just continue with block work up to the height go the single story extension, then double flu'd up to above the gutter line as per building regs.

Installation of a new kitchen.

Installation of a new bathroom.

now I have no issues with building control coming out, given that they exist to make sure a job is done correctly and safely. even if it does involve multiple visits.

but as i have never dealt the building control before( I've laboured on sites a handful of times, am a fairly competent DIY'er and have friends in various trades that will help me out if/when i get stuck).I decided to make a phone call to the local BCO first to try and clear some things up, and it just made things confusing.

1) the costs, if what he was telling me was right, they end up being huge.

was quoted over £800 for the inspection of the wood burners and the chimney.

the other alterations he said it depended on whether they were all being carried out at the same time, otherwise they would have to be classed as individual projects, however he was very very grey about the same time. As in i didn't really get a definitive answer about whether he would need to come out and view everything on the same visit to count it as the same project, or whether him coming to check the kitchen water was plumbed correctly on a tuesday, then to check id plumbed the new ensuite water and installed the stud wall at the end of the kitchen diner correctly on a friday would count as 1 project for a renovation running between £10 and £20k, or 3 separate projects running various costs.

he was also a little bit grey about total cost as a sliding scale ( as for example, for me to remove a stud wall the cost to myself is £0, granted id need a bit in materials to make good the repairs but as this was part of the kitchen installation, id be doing it all at the "same time") Likewise for me to install a stud wall is going to cost very little, but if i was to get someone in to do it,I could be talking a lot.

Im not going to be touching Gas, as I can't legally, and despite working labouring for a spark a few summers back and being asked to run cables and wire stuff for him, Im probably not going to touch the electrics, reason being he's still a close friend and will do the work required for less than the £180 building control want to inspect it.(providing i supply the materials/brews/lunch, which I would be doing for myself anyway).

Im basically wondering what everyone else on here has done? and if so have building control been that anal or have i just been unlucky in whats been said?

as the way it looks from the costs, It would almost be cheaper to get professionals in for most of the work(which I'm already tempted to do with the stoves and a HETAS engineer).

Likewise seems nuts that if was to leave everything where it is in the bathroom, no building control needed, as I'm looking to move the sink about 6 inches to put it in an inbuilt vanity unit I need to inform building control, even though its already plumbed with speed fit which Id even trust the other half to use.

It also seems daft that I'm 90% sure half the professionally installed kitchens/bathrooms/ stud wall installations are either not done by "qualified" people or the work is never registered with building control, but id rather do everything by the book if possible, but I don't want to pay some kitchen installer £11000 for £3000 worth of kitchen units, and about £800 of sundries and a weeks work which they may well not do to high standards.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Whether it's "one project" probably comes down to whether you've submitted one application, or multiple for each aspect or stage of the renovation.

I'm surprised that you think you need approval to move a washbasin 6 inches. That's close enough to "like-for-like replacement" that I'd just do it.

Whether it's "one project" probably comes down to whether you've submitted one application, or multiple for each aspect or stage of the renovation.

I'm surprised that you think you need approval to move a washbasin 6 inches. That's close enough to "like-for-like replacement" that I'd just do it.

thats reassuring to know, as your now the 2nd person to tell me likely with regards the work being one big renovation.

I don't think i should need approval to move a washbasin 6 inches, hence why i think its nuts, just that technically I do need BC to approve it, whether i do with an item like that is debatable, however I'm also thinking if I'm getting them involved with the stuff I 100% need them for, I may as well get them to sign off the rest too.

I didn't think you needed BC approval for erecting/removing stud walls and similar internal rearrangements? For the wood stove can you not just install it with the twin skinned flue etc then get it signed off - then box it in later?

Sponsored Links
Also remember you don't have to use Local Authority building control and there are now numerous firms out there qualified to do it - some are known for being quite sensible about the regs - they absolutely stick to the proper regs of course quite right and properly, but being commercial (i.e they work in the real world) can often have a more sensible in approach than some LA ones are who have been known to add embuggerance factors in that are simply not necessary.

I am using such a company and the Building Controller is really approachable and again very sensible in his approach. He calls in when passing and has a chat, quick look around and goes. The build is not complete, but so far, so good.

You need to first establish which of your works a notifiable and by what method as this will effect how you apply. For example your boiler installation, your sparks and your wood burner can all be registered with building control by the contractors under various self certification schemes and so won't require an application. The rest of your works don't look like they are notifiable or you would be silly to notify over a technicality(I'm thinking of the bathroom here).

You need to first establish which of your works a notifiable and by what method as this will effect how you apply. For example your boiler installation, your sparks and your wood burner can all be registered with building control by the contractors under various self certification schemes and so won't require an application. The rest of your works don't look like they are notifiable or you would be silly to notify over a technicality(I'm thinking of the bathroom here).

Aye, the plan always was to get boiler and sparks signed off(Boiler because i can't do it myself, electrics because although i could do it myself, the cost of getting it approved is more than paying a friend to do it).

Wood burner i was originally going to do myself, but am going to speak to a couple of people that install them and see if the time/effort/hassle of installing them myself and having BC involved is more or less than they are going to charge.

With regards to stud walls, the planning portal website is rather vague - " Work to provide a new internal wall generally requires approval under the Building Regulations 2000 ", which says to me most of the time we need to get involved.

Stud wall removal, although not technically notifiable, i was advised on the phonecall i had with building control that i would be best off informing them that the stud wall removal had taken place, so it could be signed off along with the kitchen replacement. Mainly because if it was ever questioned later when selling the house, could i prove that the wall was none load bearing - at which point i asked " oh that could all come under 1 project then" and was given the answer i talked about in my first post " yes, if it all happens at the same time".

So you are CORGI registered? Cool.
where have i said anything like that?

Ive already said I'm not doing the Gas, as i can't legally. Electrics, as far as i am aware I could legally do myself, providing it was then tested/certified by BC, but as they want an extra £180 to get it signed off/tested as I am not registered, would cost more than getting someone i know to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back