Building gable walls plumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you can lay 100 bricks in 5 minutes you must be making a fortune f&n, thats 1200 bricks an hour
takes 5 mins max to set up a pair of blakes profiles and you can get 20 course out of that
sorry but cornering up is so last year

Sponsored Links
I wish someone would join today and back me up, to give me credibility.

It would also help if they posted in the same style and from the same IP address too :rolleyes:

I wish someone would join today and back me up, to give me credibility.

It would also help if they posted in the same style and from the same IP address too :rolleyes:
[im
timberL2001_800x1171.jpg
g]

i would find it very difficult to discredit anything you have said thus far ^woody^.

as for fast neat, brick instruct.. or whatever you call yourself, i think you are a wind-up merchant. ;)

Sponsored Links
lol - I thought there was a PM facility? eh? nudge, nudge :rolleyes: Or is that just on your account? :LOL:

[you do for a living ns apart from talking rubbish in here?

like i've told you before slow and shoddy i left school and served an apprenticeship in bricklaying
as for prices up north currently on £400 a 1000 & £12.50 for blockwork going to £20 a metre for pillars but remember our cost of living is lots cheaper
maybe you should have been a joiner then you could have made yourself a massive wooden spoon to stir all the sh*t you come out with

I bought a full set of Blakes for £180 in, I think, 1982. Best tools I ever bought. As a 2+1 gang we would do a lift of brickwork on a pair of semis in a day, that's about 4000 bricks or so. With Blakes we could lay a thousand bricks in the time it used to take us to build two 24 brick corners. Excellent bit of kit, and I've still got them.

Also very good for gables. Foolproof at keeping the gable plumb. The only problem on gables as the line went up the profile they pulled in as there was no brickwork to brace the profile against.

I also met the guy who came made them. He had a big tin shed on the side of the road near Reading. When I met him he showed me his latest invention, a semi circular saw blade that fitted on a backactor and was used for cutting through tree roots. A very interesting guy, and he gave me a bag of clips for my profiles.

he gave me a bag of clips for my profiles.

Swapped them for a bag of chips :eek: You must have been hungry lol

I'm sure we paid £250 for ours back in the late 80's - and that was a weeks wages then!

Going a bit OT, is anyone using those metal adjustable dummy frames?

Remember me, the OP?????

I thought this was a site where amateurs like me could ask advice from professionals like you. I specifically said I was more comfortable laying to a line and speed was definitely not an issue.

The advice I recieved from ------

Woody
Gangman
Noseall
NS215
AtoZ
The_Brickie

----------------------- was exactly what I wanted and also included a few helpful tips and reminders on related topics.

The advice I recieved from -------

Fastneattrowel

----------------------- was irrelevant.

So thanks very much to the first group for actually taking the time to read and understand the question and tailor your replys accordingly.

How to influence people and attract friends...

Yes he is an amateur, thats why hes here, looking for advise not a gunning.

Do you post on londonbricklayers?

[ you mean unloading a lorry of 4000 bricks yeah gang lol what weed you got? the stuff that makes every thing look ten fold[/quote]

I take that to mean you don't think I was able to lay 2000 bricks a day. You obviously don't have much experience of price work, I was fast but there were plenty of brickies around who were much faster than me. I've been on sites where there were guys doing 3000+ a day.

I met a brickie who won some competition for the fastest brickie in Britain, reckoned on laying 6000 day in day out. I don't know about that but he built a gable end faster than two of us on the other gable.

If you think 2000 a day is not possible it would be interesting to know what you can lay in a day. Any brickie worth his salt will lay 1000-1200 a day, if by your name you think you're fast let us know what you can really do.

[ you mean unloading a lorry of 4000 bricks yeah gang lol what weed you got? the stuff that makes every thing look ten fold

I take that to mean you don't think I was able to lay 2000 bricks a day. You obviously don't have much experience of price work, I was fast but there were plenty of brickies around who were much faster than me. I've been on sites where there were guys doing 3000+ a day.

I met a brickie who won some competition for the fastest brickie in Britain, reckoned on laying 6000 day in day out. I don't know about that but he built a gable end faster than two of us on the other gable.

If you think 2000 a day is not possible it would be interesting to know what you can lay in a day. Any brickie worth his salt will lay 1000-1200 a day, if by your name you think you're fast let us know what you can really do.

The average working hours here is 8 hours a day if that , 680 minutes devide that into 2000 roughly every 20 seconds you lay a bed lay a brick and joint up lmao, do you stop to have a cig inbetween? we lay on average 500 maybe less around windows and the suby still earns ,thats a fact iam pretty sure yours is a fantasy :)

The average working hours here is 8 hours a day if that , 680 minutes devide that into 2000 roughly every 20 seconds you lay a bed lay a brick and joint up lmao, do you stop to have a cig inbetween? we lay on average 500 maybe less around windows and the suby still earns ,thats a fact iam pretty sure yours is a fantasy :)[/quote]

If my 2000 is fantasy then I'd have to say your 500 is laughable.

This is the way we worked on facework.

On site before eight, labourer gets a mix out, brickies put up profiles and stack out. Start laying before eight. Around 10-10.30 one brickie had tea the other jointed up, then swapped over.
Around 1-2 one brickie had his sandwiches the other jointed up, then swapped over. The labourer ate when he had a chance. Usually stopped laying around 5.30-6 then jointed up.

Nobody smoked and nobody done stupid things like standing around talking, we were there to lay bricks and thats what we done.

On site work we would always have two or three houses on the go at the same time. Our labourer would go in on the weekend sometimes taking his mates and stack out. He would always try to be a week in front. Doing it this way meant he done most of the jointing during the week, leaving us to lay bricks.

We didn't always make the 4000 but even on a bad day we'd lay more than the average gang. We were brought up on pricework if we didn't lay bricks we didn't earn, so everything was geared to just laying bricks as fast as possible.

well gangman i dont do price work , specialy if the guy whos giving out the prices is subying off some one else which is the norm now day , each to there own yeah ,

i take home 600 a week just plodding along, never been told iam slow and i know what a suby earns out of me, right now doing private stuff but site work is finished as far as iam concerned ,

too many foreigners under cutting , woo hoo moderator a hate that have a good eve any way :D

we lay on average 500

if your laying 500 brick on average plodding on
then surely you would be better off on price as thats 2500 brick a week @400 per 1000 = £1000 per week less 20% tax, if your cis, would mean you would be earning £800 per week and if you felt like not plodding for a couple of days you could easily bank £1000

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back