Building gable walls plumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
we lay on average 500

if your laying 500 brick on average plodding on
then surely you would be better off on price as thats 2500 brick a week @400 per 1000 = £1000 per week less 20% tax, if your cis, would mean you would be earning £800 per week and if you felt like not plodding for a couple of days you could easily bank £1000
it dont work like unless you work for your self , a suby will pay you £140 a day take home £560 wether you lay 500 or 300 if i have 3 windows to deal with , iam not a sub concractor just a fast if i wanna be site bricky,theres no way il open up working for some one else while he reaps the rewards, i seen other trowels lay twice as many as me and take home same pay lol plodder fast if i wanna be trowel , :LOL:

Sponsored Links
gangman laying 2000 a day , he prolly end up with sciatica and wont earn 200 when hes 40 yr old :)[/quote]

That's funny, you really haven't got a clue have you.

I'm past that age and I haven't got sciatica, and as for 200 any tradesman who works for me gets at least that. If you're happy with £600 a week then good luck to you, it's not for me.

You laugh at brickies who lay twice as much as you for the same money. If I have a guy laying 500 a day and one who lays 1000 a day, when things start getting tight I know who would be down the road first. Though a brickie who could only lay 500 a day wouldn't be with me anyway.

I've seen so many brickies talk like you do, "I could do it if I really wanted to", they just never do. I've done it, I've layed lots of bricks and earned lots of money. That money let me move in different circles, that opened up different opportunities for me.

There are people who talk about it and there are people do it, you are just a talker. See where that will get you when you're in your fifties or sixties.

Arr, the magical 1000 bricks a day discussion.

Yes the fella that won that comp laid 770 bricks in one hour (thats a comp a few years ago), nine inch work, english bond, didnt have to be jointed, just good enough. Hes got land and works building his own houses everyday. (Well about 15 years ago) A local fella was in the same comp, he laid 500 odd.

I have yet to see a man lay 1000 bricks in a day building houses, nine inch maybe, footings if done in brick yeah, I'm not saying it cant be done, I just aint seen it and never done it.......

I'm amazed you've not seen 1000 a day on houses. In your area is it mainly daywork or pricework for brickies? In areas that only gave pricework, when things got a bit hard you had to be able to lay the bricks just to make a wage. Pricework makes you speed up, but you need the right mental attitude to keep banging them in day after day.

About three years ago I went back on a site to help a mate out. I was averaging 800 to 1000 a day. I really found it hard, the speed had gone, though having ordinary hoddies didn't help.

My old partner is still on the trowel, he works 1and 1 with my brother, he's coming up to 40 but still does 1200 to 1500 a day on houses.

Sponsored Links
Arr, the magical 1000 bricks a day discussion.

Yes the fella that won that comp laid 770 bricks in one hour (thats a comp a few years ago), nine inch work, english bond, didnt have to be jointed, just good enough. Hes got land and works building his own houses everyday. (Well about 15 years ago) A local fella was in the same comp, he laid 500 odd.

I have yet to see a man lay 1000 bricks in a day building houses, nine inch maybe, footings if done in brick yeah, I'm not saying it cant be done, I just aint seen it and never done it.......
blimey the brikie agrees with me :D

1000 a day is hard now because of sorting the cavity but if you have a good labourer and the work is right; then its easy enough.

fast neat.
your figures say one brick every 20 seconds. your rate is 3 bricks every four minutes.
that aint up to much m8 to be honest. :(
blakes at 130 is a bargain, you would get that back on ebay.

1000 a day is hard now because of sorting the cavity but if you have a good labourer and the work is right; then its easy enough.

fast neat.
your figures say one brick every 20 seconds. your rate is 3 bricks every four minutes.
do your sums boy ,i said 500 .besides anyone who shops on ebay is a skinflint always looking for bargains probaly why you want a bricky to lay 2000 for a days pay lol

I'm amazed you've not seen 1000 a day on houses. In your area is it mainly daywork or pricework for brickies? In areas that only gave pricework, when things got a bit hard you had to be able to lay the bricks just to make a wage. Pricework makes you speed up, but you need the right mental attitude to keep banging them in day after day.

About three years ago I went back on a site to help a mate out. I was averaging 800 to 1000 a day. I really found it hard, the speed had gone, though having ordinary hoddies didn't help.

My old partner is still on the trowel, he works 1and 1 with my brother, he's coming up to 40 but still does 1200 to 1500 a day on houses.
gangman you must pick and choose your work, because its only possible to lay that many on the flanks,doing windows doors ect not possible to lay 1000+, reminds me of the asylum seekers here in london being payed less to run the line in while british guys building the corners on day rate thats a fact :(

What sort of prices you/he getting to have to lay that many a day? Even on a small price, lets say £400 a thou thats some serious dollar for a weeks work.

I'm on day rate but not housing, flat conversions, because I do other bits, cut and pitch roofs, fit windows, cover roofs, plastering etc. I'm happy with what I get and I dont have to put up with the ag. Its a very good day rate
:D

fast neat.
do your sums boy ,i said 500 .besides anyone who shops on ebay is a skinflint always looking for bargains probaly why you want a bricky to lay 2000 for a days pay lol

i think its you that needs to do your sums..
i dont need a brickie and i certainly wouldnt have a skatey lazy one like you.
shame your hands dont work as fast as your gob.

500 a day and you dont even plumb the gables :oops:

three in four minutes= skate.
no wonder we have so many poles on site nowdays :(

gangman you must pick and choose your work, because its only possible to lay that many on the flanks,doing windows doors ect not possible to lay 1000+, reminds me of the asylum seekers here in london being payed less to run the line in while british guys building the corners on day rate thats a fact :([/quote]

If you read what I post you may of worked out I was talking working in the 80s.
Atoz is right in what he wrote, we had no cavity fill to worry about, and we had a 5hit hot labourers, actually my brother was the best. He's a C&G bricklayer but we earned more with him labouring.

As for doors and windows they did slow you down, only in so much as you had to put up a frame and set it level with a scaffold board. It was all wooden frames which were built in, no need to plumb the openings, just build to the line and butt up to the frame. All the frames had dactie so that was quicker.
Even you must know if you lay to a line it's faster than any level work.

You've obviously never used Blake's, with them you build one gable end then the other, the front and back is then all line work. There's no levelling bricks at all. The only plumbing was setting up the profiles, plumb and level the frames in place and just as a check on the openings now and again.

You may not have the attitude for fast bricklaying but don't think everybodies the same. We wanted to earn money so we did, and the best way was by hard graft and good organisation.

i agree with gangman although i can only manage about a 1000 a day on timber framed houses, so no insulation to worry about

i agree with gangman although i can only manage about a 1000 a day on timber framed houses, so no insulation to worry about
well i disagree with you but agree with the majority who say its a no no on cavity work , besides its 2008 not the 1980s lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back