Building gable walls plumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I price privates on 500 a day :oops:

m8 there is a difference between what you lay and what you 'could' lay.

if conditions got hard and your bonus dropped so that 500 a day would give you rubbish money then you would and could do more.

work out the maths, how many operations are needed to actually lay a brick once you are on the move.
8 x 60= 480 (not 680..fnt)
to lay a 1000 works out about one every 30 secs.
you can do that!

im not being stupid here, i know it takes time around details and its more awkward to lay engineering bricks; but what you lay is down to attitude more than any other reason. so you dont lay a thousand today! you are closer to a 1000 than 500.

control of your labourer makes such a difference too.
if the lab is rubbish; you will never earn money.

lay more; get paid more.

Sponsored Links
Myself and a bricky partner laid 1000 bricks on a gable end in 2 hours once,
I have hit 1000 a day on my own, even 1500 sometimes, other times it could be 500.

and its all about the labourer too, knowing what's next, not having to ask for anything, making sure your compo is just right, jointing while you lay somewhere else, cutting your half bats, it all helps
Put a labourer on a percentage share when your on 1+1, i prefer 1+1, and see how well he works, if he's a good one. Can put your measure in and dont have to move so much, a 2+1 has to move twice sometimes 3 times a day, all that gear has to get there, 4+2, forget it. You could be on £1000 a 1000, but if you cant get gear there then you will lose, its all about forward planning and efficiency, Im in my oils on a 40 brick run, 10 courses 400, 20 800, I go 27 for the lift, theres over your thousand, love it. £400 made, £320 after, labourer 30% =96 in his bin, 224 for me, happy days, gone by 3pm :D

Tawelfryn

1+1 was good for me too. Earned some very good money as 1+1 with my little brother. I use the word little, a bit loosly, as a bet he once carried 16 thermalites across the site and up a ladder onto the first lift.
He couldn't put them down though.

I done quite well as a 2+2 as well. Which I think was better than 1+1. The only thing with 1+1 is you are stuck on the same bit of wall that much longer when you're building it on your own.The only thing with 2+2 the labourers would talk too much.

I used to go 24 on the gables, that would be the lift for scaffolding, and 28 front and back, lintol height. Always had crates and kicked them along to reach the last few courses laid. I hated doing the peirs between the openings at a low level so I'd go 28 and on the next lift it was lintols straight on.

Blockwork was always 10 courses, leaving a cut block for joist level, which I'd do off trestles or steps which ever would be quickest at the time.

Myself and a bricky partner laid 1000 bricks on a gable end in 2 hours once,
I have hit 1000 a day on my own, even 1500 sometimes, other times it could be 500.

and its all about the labourer too, knowing what's next, not having to ask for anything, making sure your compo is just right, jointing while you lay somewhere else, cutting your half bats, it all helps
Put a labourer on a percentage share when your on 1+1, i prefer 1+1, and see how well he works, if he's a good one. Can put your measure in and dont have to move so much, a 2+1 has to move twice sometimes 3 times a day, all that gear has to get there, 4+2, forget it. You could be on £1000 a 1000, but if you cant get gear there then you will lose, its all about forward planning and efficiency, Im in my oils on a 40 brick run, 10 courses 400, 20 800, I go 27 for the lift, theres over your thousand, love it. £400 made, £320 after, labourer 30% =96 in his bin, 224 for me, happy days, gone by 3pm :D

team work.. :)

it seems to me that some people want to stop for 'a fag' or stay in the cafe!..
i want to get it done and go home.

Sponsored Links
I price privates on 500 a day :oops:

m8 there is a difference between what you lay and what you 'could' lay.

if conditions got hard and your bonus dropped so that 500 a day would give you rubbish money then you would and could do more.

work out the maths, how many operations are needed to actually lay a brick once you are on the move.
8 x 60= 480 (not 680..fnt)
to lay a 1000 works out about one every 30 secs.
you can do that!

im not being stupid here, i know it takes time around details and its more awkward to lay engineering bricks; but what you lay is down to attitude more than any other reason. so you dont lay a thousand today! you are closer to a 1000 than 500.

control of your labourer makes such a difference too.
if the lab is rubbish; you will never earn money.

lay more; get paid more.
hey az money is not be all and end all,besides iam quite wealthy compared to some, rather just plod along talk football stop for a cig . also cup of coffee each time i have a fag out of my new gallon stainless steel flask and go to the toilet 7 times a day ,chill out man , them days of head down arse up are long gone : :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back