building part-height fire lobby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
LABC say I need to build a fire lobby to put 2 fire doors between the flat's living rooms and common entrance hall. Listed building consent say I must not hide the coving on the ceiling, so I'll need to construct a 30 minute fire rated internal roof to the lobby. This roof will no doubt be used for light storage so will need to be fairly strong. The lobby will be about 1.2m x 0.8m and about 2.2m high. The lobby will have one extra 30 minute fire door and a 30 minute glass window for borrowed light.

I have the Planning Surveyor coming next Thursday, so I want to be fairly clear about what I propose to put up to show off their precious Georgian coving. The whole thing's a bit of a joke as the Victorians cut away a chunk of coving to put in a bay window and there is a boxed in soil pipe in another corner. :confused:

I am thinking of a 12.5mm plasterboard internal ceiling, 50x50x800 joists at 400mm centres, 18mm chipboard floor, 12.5mm plasterboard again and finally 6mm ply on top. The bottom layer of plasterboard will be continuous with the lobby's internal walls. The top layer of plasterboard will be continuous with the lobby's external (living room side) walls.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back