Building Tolerance On Room Size

If however you brought a builder on board and specified a minimum internal finished plaster dimension and asked for this to be a priority, then it could be achieved as long as the brick setting out allowed and that there are no problems regards cavity sizes and services running down walls etc. Oh and planning and p.d. rights and stuff also may influence.
Is this the case?

Yes we specified minimum internal size

Sponsored Links
Internal size would be block-block plus plaster finishes which can not be determined until the method of plaster finish has been decided and that there are no (plaster thickness influencing) services like cental heating pipes to go across.

This is why kitchen surveyors do not finalise until skimmed. Only a fool would.

Being an F1 engineer you would already know this though.

Sponsored Links
Plaster finish is dot & dab as I have already said, this has been decided at drawing stage.

What does it really matter?
Are you expecting the builder to knock it down and rebuild it at his expense because it is a few cm smaller than on the plans inside?

As a matter of interest, have looked up BS 5606 (Accuracy in building)
and for space between walls measured horizontally, it's +/- 20mm for brickwork and +/- 21mm for blockwork.

Vertical out-of-plumb is stated as 10mm for brickwork and blockwork, but doesn't state a height on this.

So, when you saw the building at dpc stage or even at setting out, did you not ask why the builder had not allowed for plaster? Because being an F1 engineer you would have measured at every given chance.

I'm not sure where anyone went wrong here only that you specified a skim to skim finished size and that somewhere this has been lost in translation.

How was the internal measurement presented on the drawing. Did you ask the question then?

Has the external measurement changed from the drawing?

Has the cavity size altered?

Was the builder aware of the skim-skim size importance or has he translated this into block-block?

There is no standard as such. What is achievable depends on the materials used and the specification. The likes of NHBC, LABC, etc. use a standard of 10mm in any 5m of external walling. But that's a setting out dimension - they also allow a 10mm (in any 2.5m height) deviation tolerance of the plumb of the wall. So that means a wall could be 20mm out at the top compared to the bottom and it would still be within tolerance. But remember those are external masonry tolerances. There are also tolerances for the finishes such as plaster or plasterboard. From memory they are at least another 10mm per room height. So a wall could be 30mm different internally from what is expected from the external setting out dimensions and still be acceptable.

Having said all that, those tolerances only apply if you specified them. And it seems you specified it in a different way to normal anyway - i.e. you specified the internal dimensions rather than external. I reckon the bottom line is to what extent you stressed the importance of the internal dimensions. If you just said I'd like a room that size he is probably well within tolerance. On the other hand if you said it MUST be that size to accommodate built in furniture etc. then he might be on sticky ground.

On the other hand if you said it MUST be that size to accommodate built in furniture etc. then he might be on sticky ground.
Yeah, this is what I'm trying to ascertain.

A building does not suddenly appear after mixing a bowl of cement with some magic clay.

I know that most of our customers measure like crazy and pop levels up every surface when we are gone off site. An F1 engineer would be doing this in his sleep!

What i don't understand is how the plaster to plaster measurement went awry.

Problem is, with the hours I do I barely get time to sleep, let alone check somebody else's work.

and I'm an LSR design engineer currently, Bloodhound SSC

BUMPED.

So, when you saw the building at dpc stage or even at setting out, did you not ask why the builder had not allowed for plaster? Because being an F1 engineer you would have measured at every given chance.

I'm not sure where anyone went wrong here only that you specified a skim to skim finished size and that somewhere this has been lost in translation.

How was the internal measurement presented on the drawing. Did you ask the question then?

Has the external measurement changed from the drawing?

Has the cavity size altered?

Was the builder aware of the skim-skim size importance or has he translated this into block-block?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back