Burglar alarms this time...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm planning to change the bell box on the front of my house, as the current one is old and knackered. One, it sounds like it's submerged in water and two, the strobe has gone.

What's the best way to go about it. I assume that they are not system specific.

I have purchased a twin piezo Texecom box. The place I bought it from told me to just note down the terminals before replacing.

However, the problem I have is when trying to disconnect it from the the control box. It starts the bell ringing. Obviously because there is a battery in there powering it.

Is there a way to override this, or is it a case of go up a ladder with some ear defenders on and rip out the battery???

Cheers guys.

All advice appreciated as always.

Sponsored Links
disconnect the battery, and note which wire goes goes where.

4 are required

+ve supply
-ve supply

ringer

return

Cheers Breezer...

Is there anyway to prevent it from ringing in my face when I take the cover off. As i'm not a great lover of heights at the best of times...

:cry:

Sponsored Links
So it's ear deffenders at the ready then...

Will there be two obvious wires running to the battery in there?

5 cores required usually.

Hold Off 12v
Hold Off 0v

Tamper Return (neg on most panels)

Trigger (neg applied on most panels)
Strobe (neg applied on most panels)

You may need to link a small bit of cable from 12v to strobe+ is there are two strobe terminals.

What make is the current panel??

Lectrician...

I'll take a pic of the inside and post it for your examination.

Standby...

Ok. Fairly old panel!

Panel output for the SAB sounder are oddly marked in these panels. This is because the strobe, bell, and tamper circuit used to be seperate in bell boxes in years gone by.

• PANEL
    SAB TAMP
    BELL HOLD
    BELL -
    BELL +
    STROBE +
    STROBE -

TEXECOM
    C
    D
    B
    A
    not connected
    S

Hope you are not colour blind!

The colours above are NOT cable colours, just markers for you to read above! Every alarm company use a diferent colour code, you will need to open the panel to take a look - the alarm will sound when you open the cover of the panel, and you will need to punch your code in.

Lectrician said:
5 cores required usually.

Hold Off 12v
Hold Off 0v

Tamper Return (neg on most panels)

Trigger (neg applied on most panels)
Strobe (neg applied on most panels)

older systems yes, but not anymore, as insurance companies often want the stobe to stop when the sounder does. This is so "joe burglar" doesnt know that no one has antended an alarm.

I would also like to point out that joe burglar is not related to to bloggs

Guys,

I have whipped the cover off and taken a pic of the panel. However, I'm not sure how to post it.

Lectrician said:
You may need to link a small bit of cable from 12v to strobe+ is there are two strobe terminals.

Just to confirm, will the above fool the alarm into thinking the bell box is still attached??

mrmark said:
Guys,
Just to confirm, will the above fool the alarm into thinking the bell box is still attached??

No, thats for if the stobe expects + , and - from the panel, and the panel only provides a - for it, the + can just come from the main +

I see.

But is there no way to con the system, so the bell does'nt start screaming in my face whilst up the ladder... :confused:

Find the tamper switch for the bell box lid and tape it closed. It'll be behind a small spring. There might be one behind the box as well when you take it off the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back