Burglar alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know if this is the right place but my burglar alarm has recently started to go off without reason with the 'tamper' light on indicating a fault with the battery or an attempt to disconnect/disable the alarm. Rang installation company, (installed 9yrs ago), and they said that the 'tamper' light on the panel indicated that the battery was indeed flat and the alarm was going offf due to excess current etc!!! They've quoted nearly £100 to fit/replace battery and sort the external ringer (excess current!!). I've seen a replacement battery, exact, for £10 on the internet, would it be possible for me to fit this without any other work needed and therefore saving me £90.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
tamper light means the tamper loop is broken, or possibly on some alarms, that the battery is in poor condition, which is quite possible after 9 years. Change the battery yourself, then if the alarm still goes off, check the tamper loop connections in all the sensors / contacts.

Will change anyway as it's become a nuisance. The alarm company said that any recurring alarms were due to a faulty battery and I've just looked at it and it was installed Aug 1994. Didn't know if anything would need 'resetting' with the alarm recognising a new battery??
Thanks

Just be aware that just changing the battery may not sove the problem.

When a panle has been trying to charge a dead or faulty battery for a extended period of time it can damage the charging circuit on the panel itself.

Also if the tamper light is on then most likely there is a fault on the tamper loop or panel cover spring or even bellbox tamper fault.

Get another couple of quotes and get the job done properly - is it worth taking a chance when its your property its protecting?

Where are you located in the country?

Sponsored Links
Have removed battery and the tamper light has gone out now, the only lights on are power and day, these are the normal lights when alarm is unset. Live in NE Lincs.

my 2 p worth

sealed lead acid batteries (as you have) have a life of 5 years MAX (i have changed enough of them)

when they are being charged they are "simmering" (if you will) when they have been simmering for a few years, the "water" (if you will) has simmered away so the battery gets hot this causes its internal cells to buckle and warp as this happens it reduces the batteries internal resistance, this causes the battery to draw more current so the cycle goes on (up to a point)

when it draws more current the panel power supply (PSU) can not deliver this much current so the output voltage drops the panel then notices this and often will (as yours did) go into tamper

90% of the time installing a new battery puts everything right.

How ever i would suggest you date the battery, and use a good quality battery such as Yuasa (these will last 5 years) a.n other brand (powersonic for example) will only last 4 years

in either case get a brand new one.

if you only paid £10.00 for your battery i suspect its not new Yuasa cost a bit more

The battery I've actually found on the net is a Yuasa NP2.1-12 which is actually the same as the one taken out for £10.95. I'll try this and keep fingers crossed. Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back