Busying a telephone line

It looks like BT have withdrawn their night busying facility.

IIRC this used to apply something like a 30 Kilohm loop to the line, which was recognised by the exchange equipment as the signal to initiate the night busying.

You might be able to use call diversion in a similar manner by diverting incoming calls on all the unused lines to the same number, but I don't know if this would work if you have auxilliay working lines.

Putting a loop on the line, whether with a resistor or a dead short works for short periods, but left, say, over night, it could upset the exhange equipment, which may see it as a fault, and disconnect the service.

I did encounter problems a few years back where a rack of something like 120 modems were installed at a customer. The equipment used to go through a housekeeping routine at night, and busy out the lines as it did so. The exchange saw the busy out time as 120 simultaneous applications for dial tone, but no dialled numbers, which it regarded as a fault condition and shut down the lines.

Sponsored Links
peterpumpkin said:
Are you saying a line with a short on will still ring?
Please show me any document that says a piece of wire is a item of approved telephony equipment.

Softus ..Wire must be approved, or they wouldn't have loads of it hanging from poles!
Have you anything constructive to pass on to the OP?
PP

Sponsored Links
peterpumpkin said:
Softus ..Wire must be approved, or they wouldn't have loads of it hanging from poles!
The wire on the poles is used to connect items of equipment, not simulate one. :rolleyes:

Have you anything constructive to pass on to the OP?
You call your idea and your comments to me (such as the one above) constructive?

Softus, Ask the OP if he has had any constructive help?
I was only describing a situation, where if he did put a short accross his lines he would possibly be disconnected,and indeed in his reply, he showed that he understood. The Fact that BT have withdrawn a service, with no alternative would show that they don't care much.
I have described another method in a post, regarding putting lines into hold.Don't know if this is a possibility with the equipment available.
Have you any constructive suggestions?
PP.

peterpumpkin said:
Softus, Ask the OP if he has had any constructive help?
Be my guest.

I was only describing a situation, where if he did put a short accross his lines he would possibly be disconnected,and indeed in his reply, he showed that he understood.
And I said what I thought about the idea of a short circuit. The discussion that followed was all initiated by you, so feel free to stop whenever you like.

Putting a short across the lines would be a short term solution if the op cant or does not know how to divert/isolate these lines...putting short across will only upset anybody trying to get through as they will get a busy tone( unless a 1571 service is on it,but doubtful as pbx lines) this will not upset any exchange equipment or generate any fault by bt ,only a isdn 2 or isdn30 would be affected by this as it goes out of sync .........to th op, get these lines switched to featureline,this is a system bt use where it does not require any telephone system as it works on individual sockets say lines 1-6 with this you get your main number say 01713334444 lines 1-6 then you will get 6 bypass numbers that is another number for each sockets ,then extension numbers so one office can ring another without any charge ,even if the other office is in your home as long as its off the same exchange. The benfits of this are no system to buy or rent ,you wont lose all your lines if system fails,6 extra numbers if needed ,extension numbers if req and last month installation free if you sign up for 5 years

forgot to mention you can divert any line to another line quite easily plus alot of other facilitys

Putting a loop on the line, whether with a resistor or a dead short works for short periods, but left, say, over night, it could upset the exhange equipment, which may see it as a fault, and disconnect the service.
I don't see how putting a resistor accross the line is any different from the exchange equipments point of view than knocking a phone off the hook.

I don't see how putting a resistor accross the line is any different from the exchange equipments point of view than knocking a phone off the hook.

It isn't

If the phone is off hook but not connected to another phone the exchange considers the phone has been left off hook by accident. In the old days this meant a few bits of shared equipment were held in use by that phone and therefore not available to other users. So an alarm was generated to alert engineers to release the equipment. It used to be called PG or Permanent Glow from the older manual days when an off hook phone meant a lamp glowed on the operator's board.

Now with very little shared equipment the problem of a phone left off hook is far less of a problem to the exchange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back