Buying and fitting a new door and doorframe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a built in cupboard in my new flat that I want to install a washing machine into. The existing doorway was about 50 cm deep but 230cm tall (fitted with two louvre doors, one above the other).

I have removed the existing doors and doorframe and need to widen the doorway (I think this will be easy, since the wall is only 6cm deep and is made of cinder blocks which break away very easily using a cold chisel).

Could someone offer some advise about fitting and installing a new doorframe and door though. The door needs to be bi-folding (since it opens into a 90cm wide corridor). I have looked in the usual DIY chain websites and realised that I can't buy a door of the required height (everything seems to be 6'6'' high).

Can anyone suggest what is the best thing to do (I would prefer a regular door, rather than louvre doors, which seem a bit flimsy - the other doors in the flat are the original panel doors); or could a door be built for the full height of the opening?

Haven't fitted a doorframe or door before, so if someone could give me some hints (or point me in the direction of a step-by-step guide) I'd be most greatful. Would I be better off buying a ready made doorframe (which would need to be cut back presumably since the cupboard walls are so thin).

Many thanks (in advance)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back