C&G2330 LV3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wanted to ask peoples opinions. Anyone done this course and found it hard. I did my C Cert a number of years ago and that was hard. Now I teach this subject and a handful of students just aren't getting it.

I have a meeting with the C&G External Verifiers in a few weeks to discuss the course because I'm not convinced it's all that good.

I have even enrolled to do the course myself as I want to see if the whole structure is like the C Cert. I'm getting an awful lot of complaints about the GOLA exam. Did anyone find this difficult at all!

I'm just not convinced, anyone got any views!

Thanks
Paddyalan

Sponsored Links
Hi I have just finished my l3 2330. the health and safety side was easy the 302 and 303 were quite straight forward. the maths and science parts were a bit more difficult. I passed with a credit after some work at home on it. I did find the classroom side of things a bit difficult but I think that was due to the bad teaching in the 2nd year. ours was over three years and the 1st year was great we were actually shown how to work things out. but the 2nd year we were just shown how to pass the exam being given the answers to the questions.I think a big part of the students struggling is that 9/10 cant be bothered to revise after they leave the classroom. it does need to be a two way deal

I completed the entire 2330 in about 12 months. If you're committed then it is relatively simple, the quality of delivery counts!!!.

The 'younger' lads i lecture to are still so immature that they don't see the need to work independently on top of college.

If you have a fairly good level of GCSE maths then it is pretty straight forward on the maths & science parts.

The GOLA exams are a pure gift, 4 to choose, 2 are utter rubbish so really you only have to choose between 2 answers.

Know your stuff and you will walk it.

think it might be worth my time doint the lvl3?
I got 236 part 1 and 2 about 12 years ago, but never bothered with part C ( as it was back then, is that the equivalent now? )

Sponsored Links
I have just finished level 3 of the 2330 what I found was

No structure to the course.

Poor levels of teaching (apart from one guy) with lecturers not up on current regs

Undisciplined classes with the younger apprentices unmotivated and uninterested and so caused disruption

City and Guilds don't really know what they want to achieve with this course

Quite dated with a over emphasis on motors

little cross over from the maths to practical i.e. real world scenarios

basically if you study this course at the college I did, you are on your own

Does it have any real world use?? Its a stepping stone course at best.

Good to see things have really improved from the old 2360 I did then. :rolleyes:

It really is down to the quality of delivery. Bradford College are sh1t hot at it other local colleges are in my opinion struggling with it.

Unless there is the 'extra' knowledge and skills on the course and you are getting involved in the 'real' side of the job then it will only give you the basics.

The young apprentices I feel are not interested and that is the case generally, they just don't have work ethic. The ones I lecture, out of the 15 I would only give 1 of them a job!!!

For the mature fellas it is ideal.

The experience and teaching of time served blokes is essential and nothing beats on the job learning.

Rob and I have conversed for a while, I think we share a similar 'love' of the job, 2330 was my route in and the conversations I havce had on here have been a really good sorce of knowledge that I value immensley. Okay i earn a quarter of what I used to, but I am happy, motivated and know it is going to be a life long learning experience.

Guys this has been really useful. I really appreciate your input. I had a meeting with the External verifier the other day and it's the same one for Bradford college. He said we were delivering the course right and all was well. I voiced a couple of opinions about the quality of the course and the amount of science in the course and he seemed totally disinterested.

My feeling is that this course is nowhere near where C Cert used to be and it doesn't seem to teach the lads and lasses anything about being a real electrician. I suppose they learn their real skill set with there mentor, and the technical bit with us.

I have about 14 years in the engineering world 4 of them as a spark. Teaching this course for me is a breeze and I try to make things interesting.

With regards to one of the other comments made, students at a much younger age should probably wait a few years and spend three or so years on the job and then come to college to do the course. I have 16 year olds with no interest at all and 43 year old who loves every minute! By leaving the apprentice in the workplace longer they can appreciate the value of the job more!

Anymore comments welcome by the way!

Paddyalan

I have to agree.

When I was at college, we had one old lecturer who had actually been on the tools when he was younger.

He made his lessons interesting, and pitched things at a level we understood, and if we didn't, he had the depth of knowledge to actually explain things to us on a practical real world level.

We had another lecturer. He was ex-RAF, and it was worse than being back at school again. His opening line to our class on his first day of teaching us was "I'm not an electrician. Never have been, and have no intention of ever becoming one. You will pass your exams if you do exactly as I tell you. If you don't, you will fail."

He was right. I couldn't be bothered turning up to his lectures, and failed the course.

I was 16 when I started college, straight out of school, doing day release and the last thing I wanted to do was college homework on an evening. I left school to get away from all that, and I was far too busy learning about drink and stuff.

I loved the site work, and found it really interesting, and even the college workshop and to a lesser extent, the theory lectures, but I couldn't be bothered to do the paper work

I have now grown up (not much mind you) and when I went back to college last year for the 17th edition update, I wanted to do just for the personal acheivement.

I studied hard, paid attention in lectures, asked questions, and did endless hours of homework on an evening.

It paid off, and I got a good result.

So, in summary, you need a good teacher, and old students :LOL:

The end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back