C&M Britony Combi - no flame detected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Britony Combi SE in our flat. The flat's been vacant for a few months and the gas has been off. I turned the combi back on yesterday. Now when I go to turn on the hot water tap in the kitchen, it sounds like it's firing up to supply hot water (i.e pump & fan) but after a few seconds it cuts out and the LEDs on the front show the error message for 'no flame detected'. The pressure is showing about 2 bars and the dial flickers a bit when I turn on the hot water. It's not supplying hot water to the radiators either.

I've searched the C&M website for details on how to fix this but can't find anything. Is this a problem I can fix myself?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Can you hear any sparking noises after the fan has been running?

Also, I assume you have turned on the gas at the mains and the taps for the boiler (including the gas) are all open ?

No I don't hear any other noises once the pump & fan have cut out.

Yes the mains gas tap is open and no settings on the combi have been changed since it was last used.

There's no pilot light, and I've now found a C&M pdf about how to ignite the boiler - is it that simple?

This boiler doesn't have a pilot light, instead it uses electronic ignition. A bit like gas hobs have, but automatic. So when the boiler fires up the fan runs a little bit, gas is supplied and the ignition should light the gas. If it doesn't light within a few seconds, that's when it will shut everything off again.

Sponsored Links
CartHorse,

If the gas supply has been turned off then there may be air in the gas pipework. If so, then the boiler will not light until the air purged. This may be achieved by repeatedly starting the ignition sequence, but it could take sometime because the boiler's ignition gas rate is quite low.

Incidentally, a cold pressure of 2 bar is too high for your boiler. It should only be between 0.7 and 1.5 bar. Bleed some water from a radiator to reduce it.

i agree..first make sure no air in pipe...is there a gas stove nearby...does it work ?

Thanks.

Yes at first the gas hob was just putting out air but after I turned the mains gas on and off, it now works fine. So I've assumed that means all the air has been purged from the system??

Have tried following the start up instructions from the manual, have turned the boiler off and on, turned the gas tap off and on (and left it for half an hour) and have reset numerous times but am still getting the same problem.

Suppose I'll have to call someone out tomorrow but it's frustrating as I can't help feeling that fiddling with it a bit more would solve the problem!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back