cable size

I used 16 amp OPD as it is unlikely I will ever need more than that..

Overall volt drop ( meter to sockets ) was a consideration due to having to use a long submain to the CU supplying the cottage CU.

Sponsored Links
I used 16 amp OPD as it is unlikely I will ever need more than that..
I suppose that's fair enough - but I think I would have used at least 20A (just in case my crystal ball was faulty) - and probably 32A if the installation method allowed!
Overall volt drop ( meter to sockets ) was a consideration due to having to use a long submain to the CU supplying the cottage CU.
Hmmm. Particularly given the 16A design current, I'm surprised there was a need for 4mm² to satisfythe reg's VD requirements. Even if the submain were also in 2.5mm² cable (unlikely!), with 2.5mm ² cable, by my calculations, you'd be able yo have about 40 metres total (submain + final) length and still be within the regs' 5% VD limit. How big is this cottage?!

Kind Regards, John

How big is this cottage?!
Not large but stone walls and wattle and daub walls ( Grade II listed ) have made cable runs "interesting".

The sub mains are each protected by 45 amp MCBs and while I have not measured the volt drop across them I recall early MCBs had impedances which produced significant volt drop per amp.

I want a better design than the minimum "fit all" standard that the regulations set as the must have standard.

Sponsored Links
I want a better design than the minimum "fit all" standard that the regulations set as the must have standard.
I certainly have no problem with that. I suspect that many of us here take the same attitude (with respect to those matters we we regard as more 'important').

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back