calling out a plumber ... ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this is a random question but as i am online and on a PLUMBING forum!! i thought i'd ask! ... what are the most common things people call a plumber out for?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
if your happy to pay the hourly rate i'll come round for a cuppa and biscuit

ok-wink.gif

All plumbers have additional qualifications just like the samaritans. :LOL:

Why do people phone @ 2230pm for an estimate and say they will need to check other installers before calling back.

Or why do boilers break down late at night, never during normal working day.

Customer. Sorry to phone this late but boiler needs a service.

Rgi. When do you want it done.

Customer. Can you service it tonight coz i need to know its safe.

Rgi. Why did you not phone this morning

Customer. I've been to busy and just remembered now.

Rgi. Ok will come out but it will cost you out of hours call out. :£££ :evil:

Customer. don't bother yourself tonight, but can you arrange to service it next week.

Rgi. Next week why. :confused:

Customer. I have a lot to do this week so wont have much time.
I'll phone you sometime next week.

Rgi. Yes phone me before 19.00.

Customer. Whys that, I thought you worked all hours. Your service isn't very good is it. Might as well look for someone else.

Rgi. :eek: :eek: Do you want some numbers.

Customer. Only if their service is better than yours.

Rgi. Try these numbers . :evil: :evil:

Customer. I'll phone them now. What are their names.

Rgi. NHS mental Health out of hours team.

Customer rudely hangs up, don't know why :confused: :confused:

This was not a practical joke this was a genuine call.
Confirmed by another installer the following day.

I once answered the phone at about 0330hrs.

It was a lady, apparently working a night shift, who was just asking a trivial question like how much do we charge for a routine boiler service.

I made no comment about the time of the call and she made no mention of it either.

It seems that if you advertise a 24 hr service then some people on shift work just use the opportunity to call from work.

But my most amazing call was about 0100 from a hotel with about 24 rooms! Their water had been turned off ( due to serious non payment I am sure ) and this arab owner wanted me to connect the hotel supply, that night! to a 15 mm supply in the shop next door!

If he did not pay Thames Water then I was sure he would not pay me either so I just talked about it with him for a while as I had no intention of going. I tried to explain that a 15 mm supply would run just ONE out of the 24 bedrooms but he seemed totally unable to understand that!

Tony

Had one just last weekend a tennant for a landlord I do some safety checks called, left a message on Sunday lunchtime saying it would be fine for me to call either bank holiday monday,any late evening after eight or a Saturday afternoon. When I offered to call round Saturday at 8.30 he said that was no good as he liked to go out Friday night and wanted a lay in. When I asked why it had to be late evening it was because he likes to call in the pub on the way home. I politley explained I try to work normal hours as I have a young Daughter and a Life to live...

I was called just last week.

"errr, its a bit of an emergency. I need you to come straight away!!" There must be water pi**ing out everywhere I thought....

and the actual emergency.....?

"my wife has knocked a cap off her tooth and its gone down the sink waste. I need you to come and retrieve it." Oh well, Blue light and Siren all the way then! :rolleyes:

Had a call at 6.30am on a Sunday morning...they just wanted a quote...told them I don't work for inconsiderate customers.

There appears to be a lack of etiquette in todays society; even well educated people assume it's ok to phone 10pm on a Sunday night to request non urgent work.

It always amazes me that even some of the regulars think you sit on your a**e all day waiting for their call and can attend within 5 minutes of the call.

And if one more tenant tells me I can fix their boiler at 10pm when they get home from the pub..... :evil: :evil:

Had call on Saturday May bank holiday. We had previously worked for person looking after various properties in the area.

The boiler was not working and the home owner had brought family to his holiday cottage.

They had hot water and heating.??
So when asked what the problem was, it turned out their pool boiler had packed up. As they had traveled 65 miles it was an emergency coz they could not have a swim.

They may have ££££££££ but they sure didn't get me there till the following Tuesday.

They had hot water and heating.??
So when asked what the problem was, it turned out their pool boiler had packed up. As they had traveled 65 miles it was an emergency coz they could not have a swim.

They may have ££££££££ but they sure didn't get me there till the following Tuesday.

In any case it will take a couple of days to get the pool up to temoerature!

You should learn to quote overtime rates to anyonw who wants you to go on unsocial hours.

Thats the problem in London! There are so many third world plumbers who work are low rates all evening and weekend.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back