Can a builder please look and see how much i should have paid for this?

It would likely take a man and boy a long day to get all that done especially with the toothing out in mind. Upwards of £500.

Sponsored Links
can anyone please tell me how much i should of paid

From a builder's point of view, you should have paid as much as he can get. That's normally different to the clients point of view.

That looks like a nice job any way, so I don't know why you are questioning it after the work is done.

can anyone please tell me how much i should of paid

From a builder's point of view, you should have paid as much as he can get. That's normally different to the clients point of view.

That looks like a nice job any way, so I don't know why you are questioning it after the work is done.

Not really a matter of questioning it the job is fine ive paid the guy and its all good, its more out of curiosity ive had a few people tell me ive paid a bit over the odds so just want a few more opinions so i know if to keep the guys number for any future work i need doing

Sponsored Links
Not bad, it looks like a clean job. How many people and how many days? Did they do all the running about so all you had to do was cough up the green? Did they do all the tidying up? Did you agree the quote in advance or was it an estimate? As it stands, you have a nice job and what'll spoil the job is someone coming on here and telling you you paid £xx over the going rate. The people that do the job don't make that cash 100% of every working day.

Nozzle

Not bad, it looks like a clean job. How many people and how many days? Did they do all the running about so all you had to do was cough up the green? Did they do all the tidying up? Did you agree the quote in advance or was it an estimate? As it stands, you have a nice job and what'll spoil the job is someone coming on here and telling you you paid £xx over the going rate. The people that do the job don't make that cash 100% of every working day.

Nozzle

Thanks for your reply i am happy with the work done and didn't mind paying it as ive done the rest of the garage myself so still way under budget on the original quote i got for someone else to do the lot, and yes i had to do nothing it took him a day and a half as he couldn't do it in the day as he was waiting for the guy to come out and match the brick, they cleared everything to one side but left quite a few part bricks. i was just curious to put my mind at rest from people telling me i paid over the odds and its a £500 job

These "how much?" type of posts are meaningless, if you think about it.....what people charge for a job is entirely up to them - whether you wish to pay it is down to you, not the builder. Which is why you get several quote and base your choice on them. If only one bothered to turn up then his price is the going rate for that job, by definition. There is no magic forumula for calculating the correct price, as there isn't one.

Most trades base their price on what everyone else charges....if all builders decided en-masse to charge £1000 for that job then you'd have to pay that. bIf you paid what you deem to be too much then that's your fault, not the buidler's.

In summary, the right price is the price you are prepared to pay.

It looks like a nice job, so enjoy cracking on with the project, and post some pics when you've done it! :)

If it's any consolation I paid a brickie £200 for a 1800x700 inner leaf wall of an ex-patio door.

Built with blocks
50mm insulation
Walls ties
Wall starters

He supplied all materials, did all the running around and tidied up afterwards.

He took his time but finished sooner than he thought so he decided to knock £50 off the final price (should have been £250).

This is in Batley, WF17.

To me, your price seems fair. Seeing as they were your only quote and they did it in the time scale you wanted.

Not really a matter of questioning it the job is fine ive paid the guy and its all good, its more out of curiosity ive had a few people tell me ive paid a bit over the odds so just want a few more opinions so i know if to keep the guys number for any future work i need doing

Whatever price you paid, there will always be people out there who said 'you paid too much'.
It's just human nature - some people gain satisfaction by making you have doubts, in which case they are not 'friends'.

As others have said, the brickwork looks fine; you haven't been 'done'.

2x£150 + 2x£75 + profit/overhead + materials + VAT. I make that £676.80

I would forget what other people say it looks like you picked the right guy to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back