Can anyone help - info on 5 day ch contract

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just sold my house yesterday,the customer called me this morning claiming the heating wasnt working. I told him to contact Scottish Gas and book a 1 off repair and i would cover the cost. The engineer turned up and by all account could not find the problem. He then told the new owner that the system was installed wrong and that he suspected that the flow was plumbed into the flow instead of the flow and return,he said to the new owner that because its an unvented cyl that the system needed to be changed from a y plan to an s plan. and at risked it because the cyl has no dhw shut off valve and the prv term.
The initial problem was that upstairs rads were on and no heat to the bottom floor.
Boiler is a vitodens 100 sys boiler with 210lt unvented cyl on the y-plan.
Now the new owner intends to chase me through his solicitor on monday,would i be liable for for any of that work under the 5 day contract.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The buyer should have had a survey carried out before he bought the house, and negotiated on price with you having identified the defects.

If he didn't then this his look out.

Sounds to me like he's trying it on.

The buyer should have had a survey carried out before he bought the house, and negotiated on price with you having identified the defects.

Sorry mate but the law in Scotland is different not sure where the 5 day bit came from as far as I know in Scotland buyers have 6 days to lodge a complaint against heating system defects

Sponsored Links

Sorry mate but the law in Scotland is different not sure where the 5 day bit came from as far as I know in Scotland buyers have 6 days to lodge a complaint against heating system defects

My apologies. I never noticed where the OP was from, and wasn't aware the law was different in scotland.

Does an unvented cyl need a hot water shut off valve and can the unvented cyl be connected to a y-plan system

Does an unvented cyl need a hot water shut off valve and can the unvented cyl be connected to a y-plan system

Not sure what you mean by hot water shut off valve, if you mean a valve on the primary then no not always, what make of cylinder is it btw?

and yes they can be connected to y-plan

Matt

If it was a manufacturers own cylinder and on trolls then no.

Depend how it's wired but if the high limit trips and it definitely disengages the boiler then it fine.

Could put a two port on the flow to the cylinder keeping the existing y plan but wire the two port through the high limit.

Could wire the boilers SL through the high limit so it kills the boiler.
Could fit a relay that should high limit trip it removes boiler power.

Doesn't have to be a S plan

If you sold the property without advising the purchaser of any shortcomings then it is assumed to all be properly installed and in working order.

Under Scottish law, any significant problems then become the seller's responsibility to correct.

You are keeping quiet about the background but it does sound like a bodged DIY installation.

If by chance, it was professionally fitted within the last few years then there might be an opportunity for you to sue the installer. But in that case all the deficiencies would need to be properly documented and ideally shown on a video.

Tony Glazier

The installation was installed about a year before i bought the house which is about 7 years ago and i was informed that it was a proper company that put it in.
When i bought the house back then i had it inspected by Scottish gas and over the years its had a couple of breakdown visits 1 for the 2 port valve letting bye and 1 time for the paddle in the fan was stuck,then just the yearly servicing as part of the 3 star contract - never has anything been mentioned about the installation before so i was totally unaware of these so called issues

Unvented can be installed on a 'y'plan, but a separate dhw safety(zone) valve is required, which is why most are installed with a 's'plan, as wiring is much more straightforward. Instead of the usual cylinder stat, a dual stat is used, inorporating a limit stat to isolate the zone valve in overheat situations.

if it was properly installed in Scotland you have to inform Building control and your application requires a plan of all the safety devices and controls then LBC are supposed to inspect the installation and issue a completion certificate, you might have some recourse with your origionall surveyor if this was not done, if you do get caught out and have to put it right shouldnt be too expensive to get a G3 registered engineer/plumber to sort it out for you

Good point ianmcd
I should maybe check the paperwork i have when i bought the house to see if their is a completion cert. Thanks for advice buddy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back