can i add 2 outside lights to a ringmain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
what im after doing is installing a outside wall light also installing a lampost style light ,one of them from argos which takes 3 x 100w bulbs max
i have a double socket which my tv and dvd are plugged in would i be able to come off this with a fused spur for both or just one of them the cable for the wall light will be hidden in the wall but the cable for the lampost would be armored cable 1.5mm going through my garden i just cant workout how to connect them both and i would like to have them switched so i can turn them on and off but i want it safe as well

thanks littlecookie :?:

Sponsored Links
from ring socket 2.5mm t&e into fcu, from fcu load terminals 1.5mm t&e to switch (use switch as junction box IP rated for external use) neutral into chockblock, earth into earth terminal of back box, live to common terminal of switch. Cable from lights back to switch in 1.5mm (Swa for lamp post type) depending on length of run. Switched live(red or brown) into terminal L1 Neutral (black/blue) to chockblock, earths to earth terminal of back box. This will operate both lights together.

To operate lights individually use a 2 gang switch, from the fcu supplied live put a link wire across to the other common terminal, connect both light neutrals to gether along with neutral from fcu in chockblock light 1 switched live wire into first L1 terminal, the switched live wire from light 2 connect into the remaining L1 terminal of the 2 gang switch.
Use a 3 or 5 amp fuse in the fcu.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back