How to add a PIR outside light?

I suggested an on-off push-button switch in the door frame, not a battery operated light....

Sponsored Links
Just to conclude this thread I have arrived at a solution (with the help of everyone on here).

LightwaveRF do PIR switches (which I didn't realise). So I'm simply going to swap the outside light switch front for a lightwaveRF switch front and then install an outside PIR as well.

I use lightwaveRF around the house for other stuff so I'm very familiar with it. It will mean no mess from running cables and also mean that all the present functionality of the switch is preserved.

Plus I can have the PIR only operate in certain light levels and also automatically switch the outside light back off after a delay.

And turn it on remotely etc as an anti-burglar thing.

A much better solution all round.

So, just wanted to re-iterate my thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and helped me find this solution.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Is your burglar going to text to to let you know to turn it on?

Ha ha. No, there's a timer functionality built in to lightwave. If someone was casing the house and saw lights coming on/off at various times it does give the impression of activity at the property.

It's certainly much better than just darkness.

If someone was casing the house and saw lights coming on/off at various times it does give the impression of activity at the property.
Although I confess that I also sometimes do that, I do often wonder about the effectiveness of that concept ....

... I doubt that many would-be burglars spend hours watching a property to see if lights are going off, so, even if one does have automated light control, it's pot luck as to whether they go on or off during a relatively short period of 'casing'. On the other hand, if one tried to overcome that problem by having lights going on and off all over the place at very frequent intervals, thereby maximising the chance of them observing an 'on' and/or 'off', they might well work out that it was probably not due to human activity - and might, indeed, take it as confirmation that the house was probably unoccupied!

Kind Regards, John

Yep, you're completely correct John. But, the lightwave solution wasn't chosen primarily for the "anti burglary" thing. It was just a happy side-effect. The main reason is so we can see the lock when we come home at night. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back