How to add a PIR outside light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have an outside light that lights via a PIR.

Due to it's location we don't get any of the light on the front door.

I thought about mounting another PIR light and feeding it from the existing lights supply. (see photo).

image1 - Copy.jpg

The existing light is mounted on the outside wall of a small toilet that has been decorated last year so I don't want to do any damage to the bathroom inside if I can help it.

I just wanted advice on how you would go about feeding another light? Would you run a cable from the existing light up under the eaves and down to the desired location (I was thinking of using 1.5mm armoured cable cleated to the wall)? Or is this a no-no?

Or would I put a waterproof junction box at the position of the existing light to take the existing supply into and then tee off and re-site the existing light and a new light?

Any ideas / advice?

Thanks

:)

Sponsored Links
One bit of advice to consider is that cables cleated to the outside of houses look gash.

The bend radius of armoured cable will make routing it difficult.

What's going on with the downlights in the soffit - do they not work?

Hi ban,

The lights on the soffits work fine. They are switched on via a switch at the entrance to the house.

Are you thinking about somehow wiring a PIR in to control those?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ban,

Although a switch outside would still involve a cable cleated to the wall which (I agree) would look a bit gash.

I can't mount the switch high-level because the Leader of the Opposition is only short!

The problem with a PIR solution is picking up a constant 'live' to use. I'm not sure what's behind the soffits though so I'll have to take them off and have a look.

You shouldn't use a compact florescent on a PIR. First frequent switching for a short time will shorten its life. Second they start dim and by the time they brighten they will be off. Change it for an LED.

As there's obviously a live feed in the sofits, you should be able to fit a surface mounted PIR in the soffit, and a standalone down light to only work the porch area.

As there's obviously a live feed in the sofits, you should be able to fit a surface mounted PIR in the soffit, and a standalone down light to only work the porch area.

Hi Doggit,

I was thinking that there would only be a switched live in the soffits though? As the outside lights are only on if we switch them on?? Or do you reckon there'll be a constant live up there too?

Now that I'm not sure, and on reflection you could well be right, but the soffits are maybe still the best way to tackle the problem. You won't have any cables on the outside walls, and it'll be a neater solution.

Yep, I'll take the soffits off and have a look at what's there and go from there. Hopefully it'll be straight-forward (we both know it won't be!!!) :)

Maybe you could fit a stand-alone sensor just before the first light, and leave the switch on all the time.

This would mean all the lights would come on with the sensor though.

Is there easy access above the porch soffit?

Maybe the cable for the existing WALL light can be pulled up, and run to a stand-alone sensor, then a cable run to just the porch downlighter only.

(Is that paintwork as lumpy as it looks?)

Maybe you could fit a stand-alone sensor just before the first light, and leave the switch on all the time.

This would mean all the lights would come on with the sensor though.

Is there easy access above the porch soffit?

Maybe the cable for the existing WALL light can be pulled up, and run to a stand-alone sensor, then a cable run to just the porch downlighter only.

(Is that paintwork as lumpy as it looks?)

That's a brilliant idea sparkwright!

Yep, the paintwork isn't brilliant. Not as bad as the photo makes it look though. I took the photo with the flash on on my mobile. It actually doesn't look too bad normally but, you're right, it's not brilliant! :)

I'll have a look at removing the soffit and see what's behind it and go from there but, leaving the switch on all the time and just sticking a PIR switch in cct with it is a great idea as we never put those lights on permanently anyway.

An off-the-wall idea (literally):

Instead of a PIR, you could have an illuminated push-button on/off switch in the door frame.

An off-the-wall idea (literally):

Instead of a PIR, you could have an illuminated push-button on/off switch in the door frame.

Yep, I'd originally thought of a battery operated stand-alone thing but, ideally, I would like a more permanent solution but, if the soffits prove difficult then I might just do that. Thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back