Can i change electrical sockets in house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone just a quick question when i moved into my house i changed all the single socket plugs for double ones but the ones that fit over the top of a single so stick out of wall slightly but recently been thinking does this have to be checked by a professional ? for insurance reasons etc incase every a fire or anything like that ?

Thanks dean

Sponsored Links
The problem with DIYers changing sockets is sometimes they don't do a very good job.

All too often the terminals aren't tightened properly, or wires just fall out of the terminals when the faceplate is loosened off.

So whether your work is any good, who can say?

Hi, if you do not feel confident in your work then , i would say yes.

If you have used converta sockets you have not actually altered any wiring.

Why not buy a socket tester, the mor expensive version £40, will provide you with the"comfort" of knowing your wiring is correct.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Hi, if you do not feel confident in your work then , i would say yes.

If you have used converta sockets you have not actually altered any wiring.

Why not buy a socket tester, the mor expensive version £40, will provide you with the"comfort" of knowing your wiring is correct.

Regards,

DS

Won't of course inform you of loose connections and the like.

Won't of course inform you of loose connections and the like.
Certainly not a loose neutral, provided it was making some sort of contact, and nor with a loose L or CPC/earth if, despite being loose, there was a very low impedance connection. However, if a loose L or CPC is resulting in a connection of non-negligible impedance, it will (in a TN installation) flag up an EFLI which is too high. ... so it's probably better using such a tester than not using one, even though it will still miss some faults/problems (and provided one knows and accepts that it will miss some faults/problems).

Kind Regards, John

Yes, if for example there's a 6" nail in the fuse carrier for the socket circuit, or a wylex re-called mcb supplying the circuit, or
the MET is 6mm and not 10mm ! And the milk in the fridge is out of date, yes those testers are just crap…….. :eek:

DS

Can i change electrical sockets in house
It's hard to avoid looking like the Grammar Nazi when observing that what you really mean is "May I change electrical sockets in house?", because the answer to the question you wrote is "we don't know", but the answer to the question you meant is "Yes, if you can".

Thanks for all the replys everyone, I am confident in my work and I can double check I was more worried about the law side do I need a qualified electrician to sign off any work, or if anything ever happened would insurance company ask for proof they proffesionally fitted ?

thanks dean

You do not need a qualified electrician to sign off your work, but you do need to check the work that you have done.

If adding to, or altering the wiring on a ring final then the very minimum would be a continuity check before and after the work. This will check that all of teh wires are connected properly.

I very much doubt that an insurance company would look for documentary evidence for something like this that is considered as "minor works". But you can't trust them……

Remember this? http://www.turnipnet.com/tv/insurance.ram

It's hard to avoid looking like the Grammar Nazi when observing ...
It is - which (provided the intended meaning is apparent) is perhaps a good reason for not making such observations in a 'DIY Electrics' forum.
You are wrong.

I agree the meaning is apparent, and that it was may I not can I. The problem really is that the answer to that is "we don't know".

Because we don't know if he can, and therefore we don't know if he can make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

And if he can't do that then he may not replace the sockets.

I agree the meaning is apparent, and that it was may I not can I. The problem really is that the answer to that is "we don't know".
It's true that we don't know an unqualified answer. However, it's typical of a type of question that we get asked extremely frequently, and no sensible person would answer with "I don't know". Instead, we answer (or should answer) along the lines "Yes, you may do it, provided that you are knowledgeable and competent enough to do it".

I say "should" because I think you'll find that, when giving such an answer, many of us make exactly the same grammatical error for which you are criticising the OP - i.e. we write "Yes, you can do it ....".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back