Can I fit a gas fire with mantel piece over a back boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ask this on the basis that I would need access to the pilot light if it ever goes out and I don't know if modern gas fires allow this due to the different location of central heating boilers these days.

Sponsored Links
if you're asking if you can remove your existing fire in front of a back boiler and buy a new one to fit there then no, no you can't. the fire in front of your back boiler is part of the back boiler unit. the 2 things are classed as one appliance and shoudn't be used unless fitted together. if you want a new fire i'm afraid you're gonna have to buy a full back boiler unit.

You can normally fit a hearth/back panel and mantel as long as the boiler is high enough off the floor, flue and gas pipe from the fire reach the boiler, this is all normally done as part of a new boiler installation or you have to alter your existing boiler position.

Sponsored Links
A "Mantel Piece" is just the shelf bit, so what's the query about the pilot?

I would have thought the limitation would only be the height of clean wall you have to have above (any) gas fire, and then the depth of anything like a shelf. See the instructions!

You can't box the fire in or anything like that. For some models there is a choice of fire fronts - ask manufacturer.

Thanks gents. Weargas got it first time. The issue is that I want to fit a modern fireplace where a backboiler and old fasion fire live, which poses a problem with the flue and access to the pilot light. I've decided therefore that the best course of action is to rip out the old fire and back boiler to be replaced with a modern fireplace and have a Combi boiler fitted where the old immersion tank currently lives.
All I need to do now is to get a quote to find out how much this will all cost.

My parents have just replaced their fire and back boiler, new back boiler and new living flame fire and marble hearth, dont know the details but know they just replaced old for new boiler, they had an old style fire before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back