Can I Route Cable in Coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I route cable along the join between the ceiling and walls then cover with coving?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately yes, but I dont like it one bit.
I`m a vertical only man with the odd horizontal at times but no to corners of walls and top of ceiling I used once only for a short run.
But that`s my prefference and predjudice only.
Apparently you can buy a plastic coving like trunking system just for it, but probably expensive.
Anyone know of a source?

ebee said:
I`m a vertical only man with the odd horizontal at times but no to corners of walls and top of ceiling I used once only for a short run.
Apparently you can buy a plastic coving like trunking system just for it, but probably expensive.
Anyone know of a source?

B&Q do it ebee, but its something daft like 15 quid for two meters

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
ebee said:
Anyone know of a source?

B&Q do it ebee, but its something daft like 15 quid for two meters

Adam,
your a good bright kid, and when you get in the real world you will be a good spark...

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Can I cover cables with standard coving as opposed to a plastic coving/trunking?

bonhomme said:
Can I cover cables with standard coving as opposed to a plastic coving/trunking?

Unfortunatly the regs do allow you to do this, but it is a s***e way of doing things.

Lets all write to the IEE and ask them to ammend the 17th :LOL:

Have you seen the info on 17th edition on IET website? Imo what they propose is worse than using the coving!!

waffle waffle! no one has asked what cable he intends to run in the coving! yes its a elec forum, but it may be coax/alarm cable/telecom cable....

Doesn't matter what sort of cable it is. Coving is still a stupid place to run cables IMO. If it is run in the normal places such as under floorboards etc then it can be accessed if needs be. Behind coving you've no chance without shafting the decoration.

Per above I cant believe the zone within 6inches of a wall corner is allowed as a cable run.
Kitchen fitter putting up wall cupboards will drill holes just there BANG!!!!

ttc

Your right. Most people have the common sense not to drill above or below a socket/switch but how many people are aware of the other permitted zones?

Is this not where good working practice and working beyond the standards of BS7671 comes into play?

BS7671 is a minimum standard to work to, not a maximum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back