can i run a light on my 32amp fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me?.... i've taken the electric shower out of the bathroom and have the wire still in the wall, can i connect a bathroom light to it?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me?.... i've taken the electric shower out of the bathroom and have the wire still in the wall, can i connect a bathroom light to it? :)
In principle, yes - but if you want to use normal/sensible sized cable for the light, you would have to interpose a fused connection unit ('FCU') - and a 3A fuse in it would be more than adequate for a light. If you haven't already done so, you would presumably need to either pull the shower cable up into the above-ceiling space or cut it up there, since the location of the original end is almost certainly not in a place where you could join the cable or install an accessory (like an FCU).

However, why do you need/want to do this - does your bathroom not already have a lighting circuit?

Kind Regards, John

HI John, thank you for the reply.. yes I've pulled the cable up into the loft and secured it in a brown 32 amp junction box. I was thinking of running a lighting wire from the terminal block to a fused switch then to the light above the mirror, would that work?
Cheers
Tim

Sponsored Links
Hi Tay7... yeah good idea, then i could throw it in the bath when the wife is in :D no... not really

Hi endecotp. I could connect it to the lighting circuit but im not that confident/clever/... the shower cable is loitering with intent in the loft and the FCU will go in the box where the shower pull swithc was. Its seems a whole lot easier/safer to me than getting involved in the lighting circuit......

HI John, thank you for the reply.. yes I've pulled the cable up into the loft and secured it in a brown 32 amp junction box. I was thinking of running a lighting wire from the terminal block to a fused switch then to the light above the mirror, would that work?
It would certainly work, but if you have access to the loft space, can't you pick up a feed from the lighting circuit (which would not need an FCU)? Bear in mind that someone might actually want to use the shower circuit for a shower again at some point in the future!

There might be issues regarding the location of an FCU in the bathroom - how far would it be from a bath/shower? The light also would have to be one which was suitable for the environment in which you intend to use it.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John, I really dont want to mess around with the lighting circuit... i'm not that confident!! I have the light for the mirror, its suitable for bathroom use, got it from B&Q in their bathroom lighting section. the FCU will be in a zone 3 area, well away from the shower/bath/sink and fixed to the ceiling. What d'ya recon?
Thank you for your help by the way :)

John is too polite.

It's a daft idea and completely unnecessary.
Connect it to the light circuit.

If you don't feel confident doing that then you should feel no more confident doing what you propose.

Hi EFLImupdence, thanks for your reply. Tell me then how to wire the over mirror light into the existing lighting circiut and i'll give it a go.......

...the FCU will be in a zone 3 area, well away from the shower/bath/sink and fixed to the ceiling.
Zone 3 disappeared a good few years ago, but if it's not in zones 1 or 2, that would be compliant with regs. However ...
What d'ya recon?
I don't know about my 'being too polite', but it must be apparent from what I've been saying/asking that I've very inclined to agree with what EFLI has said.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Hi John, yes I'm getting the message now :D so I need to find out how to wire a new light into the existing circuit and what do I do with the 32amp fuse in the consumer unit? (currently in the 'off' position)
Many Thanks
Tim

Hi John, yes I'm getting the message now :D so I need to find out how to wire a new light into the existing circuit and what do I do with the 32amp fuse in the consumer unit? (currently in the 'off' position)
That's probably the best you can do - as well, of course, as making sure that the other end of the cable is 'safe' in a junction box or whatever. The best answer would be to have the cable disconnected from your consumer unit - but that is not something that you would want to do yourself. The next time you need to get an electrician in for something else, you could ask him/her to do that (and do something appropriate with the end of the cable).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back