Can I spur off Armoured Cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have armoured cable feeding an outside light. Can I break into it to add an extension for another light?

Sponsored Links
derekbell said:
I have armoured cable feeding an outside light. Can I break into it to add an extension for another light?

not really that easy.

easier to run new cable from other light

You might be able to loop off from the existing lamp? Could be easier than fitting a waterproof steel box, with three terminations and glands in it, while hanging off a ladder ;)

one box and 3 terminations?

i was thinking more like 2 boxes and 5 terminations, unless the box is some what long, because where you cut it (doesnt mateer where) the tails wil be too short to connect to

Sponsored Links
Good point. I must have been thinking of that new stretchy cable ;)

someone certainly makes kits that can tee a cable without cutting it (and if you need to without isolating it though thats not something i'd reccomend to a diyer), at least for lead and paper and concentric and presumablly they must do em for SWA too (the recs certainly use SWA from time to time even though its not there most common cable type).

the question is where can you get em.

breezer said:
i was thinking more like 2 boxes and 5 terminations, unless the box is some what long, because where you cut it (doesnt mateer where) the tails wil be too short to connect to

oops. i was just going to suggest only cutting the outer armour and sheath, leaving the tails intact (and wondering why nobody else had suggested this), but then realised that the glands wont go on . . . :oops:

TLB20.JPG

BX12124.JPG

CTBUTTSLASHY.JPG

12" x 12" adaptable box, through crimps and some links of wire. :confused:

but the cable is outside so that box won't do, and whop wants a big box outside anyway? (but i did mention you would need a big box)

It doesn't actually say the armoured is outside.

Alright then, a Gewiss box
GWBX974.JPG

Two choices really big box, or connect to the existing light.

ch427 said:
a conduit trouser or tee box is smaller and neater,make sure you use lid gaskets etc...

But with using something as small as a condiut box you will not have enough slack on the cable to gland it off

swa.jpg

that is as maybe, but its of no use, since the tails will be too short (which is why we are debating about boxes)

Just a quick queery, on the round metal conduit boxes, will the SWA gland simply screw into the conduit hole, without the need for the back nut and banjo? Or is an adaptor required?

Surely its very difficult to work with SWA cores in such a small space?

WHY THE HELL DID THE AUTOSENSOR MAKE QUEERY INTO ****???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back