flexible armoured cable outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can you use flexible armoured cable to feed outside lighting buried underground and ran surfsace mounting without any additional protection..?
i know normal swa cable you can use just wondering if same applied to flexible armoured
thanks

Sponsored Links
Darren- by flexible armoured do you mean hi-tuf- If so it's not armoured, so it doesn't have the same level of protection (earth armoured).

If there is a flexible armoured cable which has an earth barrier around it, then yes it can / could.

Sponsored Links
Couldn't find your picture

MF2.5SLASH3.JPG

Reading the blurb mentions:-

"Triple protection which enables the cable to resist even the most hostile
of environments. exceptional flexibility.
Used extensively in construction, food processing, heating and air conditioning installations"

"The MF CX Cable Gland is designed for use with Steel Wire or Copper Wire Braid Armour.
Manufactured from brass and encapsulated with a non-corrosive polyester outer body,
offering complete protection in the most hostile of environments.

For EMC environments braid placement is critical,
for optimum performance the braids are terminated 360 degree around the periphery
of the cable entry as opposed to using a pigtail technique.
This broad footprint of braids against gland wall yields low transfer resistance
and high EMC protection.

Seals on both the inner and outer cable sheath, to IP68 if fitted with a sealing gasket".

I'm not sure :oops:

The cable doesn't look super rodent, puncture, mechanical damage or UV proof.

I'm sure someone else will qualify..........

SY cable is used extensively in industry, fixed to tray and other exposed areas, but I wouldn't bury it unprotected underground. I reckon a spade could cut through the braiding whereas SWA would stop one.

Price wise, there is little difference so get SWA for underground purposes.

I have seen that used as leads run surface outside,and once the outer clear plastic splits water gets in and the braid goes all brown.

EDIT as above :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back