Can I use a vailant combi boiler for hot water when the radiators are disconnected?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You can use a Vaillant combi boiler for HW only with the CH pipes disconnected and capped, or turned off under the boiler.

Assuming it is an ecoTEC combi, eg: 8 series, with an internal filling loop. Eg: standard model 2004-2106.

We've used them as standalone water heaters in the past. The other posters are misinformed.

Where do Vaillant document this and will they still honour the warranty if used in this way?
Who said anything about a warranty?
OP asked a simple question to which he was misinformed by members who haven't a clue...unless you know for sure then don't reply.

FFS! It was a question (not a dig) - directed at Simond who stated he has used them as standalone water heaters in the past, I assume they were bought new, for the purpose and was "wondering" if the warranty was still valid if used like that?
Now get off your high horse "Harry Feckin Potter" :cautious:
Are you an installer?? ..are you gas safe...don't answer..;)

Jeez..:rolleyes:....what happens when all TRV's shut down????

Then the radiator in the same space as the roomstat, or the towel rail(s) in the bathroom(s) will act as the bypass :rolleyes:
In a perfect world maybe..have you not seen an S plan on a combi?...have you not come across every radiator fitted with TRV's.....these systems are out there with the boiler working for donkeys years...:rolleyes:
We got ourselves another googler who has no experience in the real world..:ROFLMAO:

I would suggest a small radiator is temporarily connected....otherwise it can take an age to bleed the air from the boiler.

I doubt that any maker will agree to their boilers being used when disconnected from a heating system. [ Apart from Intergas of course! ]

But practically, I often use boilers in that way without any problems for a shorter time whilst working on the heating system. But I turn down the HW temp to the lowest acceptable during that use.

But that would usually only be on those boilers ( most ) which have a built in bypass. And ideally a way of topping up the pressure internally like many Vaillants.

Tony

I doubt that any maker will agree to their boilers being used when disconnected from a heating system. [ Apart from Intergas of course! ]

Well Vaillant do, and they clearly haven't consulted you first, Tony. They have been doing it over 10 yrs, so perhaps you have been away for a while.

As I never tire of saying, Intergas are the latest in a long list of domestic boiler manufacturers who have saved money by ditching the diverter valve and the plate heat exchanger. All of them have gone back to the plate and diverter; apart from Ferroli who have done the above - and then launched another bithermic heat exchanger.

Have you considered what happens to the mains water trapped in the HEX when the tap is turned off in a twin heat exchanger? How hot do you think it gets when the central heating is on? Why do think the others gave up; anything to do with scaling problems with hard water? More than 60% of households have hard water in the UK..... does the Intergas warranty cover descaling?

....and there was me thinking that all manufacturers seek Tony's advice before putting pen to paper.....
The importance of Tony Glazier is overwhelming...

Intergas require an electrolytic or polyphosphate water conditioner on the inlet.

Members of the IG Installer's Club set the CH to a maximum of around 60 C to ensure they have no problems.

Of course those who don't take an interest in boilers leave them at the manufacturer's default setting of 80 C and may get problems in harder water areas.

A little knowledge goes a long way.

I expect that Vaillant noticed me posting saying that I used their boilers without problems with no CH connected and realised that was a safe thing to do and incorporated it into their MI.

Tony

I expect that Vaillant noticed me posting saying that I used their boilers without problems with no CH connected and realised that was a safe thing to do and incorporated it into their MI.
:LOL: i think they would get much more reliable research to quote anything within their mi's considering the amount of money they spend on design , but then again I've never seen that quoted within there mi's ( i maybe wrong )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back