Can my consumer unit (a fused box) afford 8.5kW Elec.shower?

if your fusebox is that old you're probably due for a new one fairly soon, and possibly some rewiring depending on the age/state of the existing wiring.

So get a few consumer unit with other spare ways for your shower and future requirements. As the electrician would have to disconnect and reconnect the existing fuseboard if you had a new CU installed for the shower only, he'll have to check and test all the existing wiring on reconnection, so it's really little more work to have a complete new CU.

Sponsored Links
if your fusebox is that old you're probably due for a new one fairly soon, and possibly some rewiring depending on the age/state of the existing wiring.

So get a few consumer unit with other spare ways for your shower and future requirements. As the electrician would have to disconnect and reconnect the existing fuseboard if you had a new CU installed for the shower only, he'll have to check and test all the existing wiring on reconnection, so it's really little more work to have a complete new CU.

Thank you for your comment. So your suggestion is to change consumer unit? But my flat is fairly small one, so I think it's enough for me... it's bit confusing. Thank you anyway!

sato

The demands on your fuse board maybe small in total. but the posters are saying is that having a new consumer unit fitted will acheive extra safety because it will incorporate rcd protection for all or the required circuits, it will give more potential for future additions and the fact that an electrician will need to split the supply tails, fit a separate cu and do many tests, it might be only a bit more money to just have a new cu, and supply your shower directly from a fuse(rcd protected) within that. And you get all yor circuits tested to boot.

sato

The demands on your fuse board maybe small in total. but the posters are saying is that having a new consumer unit fitted will acheive extra safety because it will incorporate rcd protection for all or the required circuits, it will give more potential for future additions and the fact that an electrician will need to split the supply tails, fit a separate cu and do many tests, it might be only a bit more money to just have a new cu, and supply your shower directly from a fuse(rcd protected) within that. And you get all yor circuits tested to boot.

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually I do consider to replace my CU, but its cost is not very light. It will be around 500 or more. One can say it's worth doing it, but... somewhat heavy for me. I also consider 7.5kW shower.. it needs 32A MCB. Then, is it possible for me? Thank you again!

Sponsored Links
I dont know if you live in a very difficult to park and access part of London, but the difference between the 2 jobs should not be £500.00. I maybe missing something?

I dont know if you live in a very difficult to park and access part of London, but the difference between the 2 jobs should not be £500.00. I maybe missing something?

I live in 2nd zone London. Electricians said installing electric shower will cost around 300. So I assume that changing CU + installing Shower will cost around 500 ^^; is it wrong?

Adam_151";p="2204098 said:
That board can only take circuits of a maximum of 30A in most of the fuseways, the exception is the way on the right hand side of the main switch, however this appears to be already occupied with a 45A circuit (range cooker?)

Do not be tempted to fit 40A breaker into any other way, boards generally burn up when thats done :eek: . The 40A base has a key on the bottom which should prevent its use in unsuitable fuseways[/quote

I just think that Green one may be connected to Electric Oven which is currently not working. Also, there is no fuse! (That's why it doesn't work.) I don't know why there's no fuse... Can I use this again? I mean Can I put 45A fuse into here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back