Can you get a double socket, but one half hardwired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine wants to hardwire a TV booster in, as people keep turning it off in his B&B.

Obviously the first solution would be to chase the wall out, and put a fused spur off the ring main. But, a simpler solution would be to replace the double socket face plate with something with one socket on one side, and the equivalent to a fused spur on the other.....Do these exist?

This is a crap creation by me :)
Socket.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've never seen one, but perhaps you've spotted a gap in the market?

The only thing I could think of is replacing the double box with a dual one (could be surface mounted to recude damage?) and then fitting unswitched fused spur and single socket

SB

Sponsored Links
The booster cant look too pretty, so why not just fit a fused spur adjacent to the socket in a surface 25mm box?

If the wall is a stud wall, or dry lined, you have no excuse for not sinking a box!

Forfeits - thats the way forward - anyone who turns off the TV booster has to spend a night in the damp caravan in the car park.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks for the advice guys!

I dont think an unswitched socket would cure the problem to be honest, as people would just unplug it then.

Lectrician, yeah the booster does look crap, but he is just wanting a quick fix really. A surface box would be a lot easier mounting wise, but the cable would need to be chased in to the brickwork wouldn't it?!

bevandpaul, what are the prices from that catalouge? They look quite expensive.

Qedelec, when you say "Double 1 gang back boxes and pattresses are available".....do you mean replace the current double metal back box with two single ones, and then add a single socket and a single fused faceplate? Would there be enough room on the wall for mounting two singles in place on one double faceplate?

If wires are long enough
surface plastic DUAL box over the front of the twin metal box
It is wider and will take 1 single socket and one spur unit
1 set of 3 wires into each front, link all 3 between the two fronts to reform circuit

I think he means that you remove the existing double back box and replace it with a dual back box. This is effectively two single boxes made together.
You can then put a single socket in one half and a switched FCU in the other.

Didnt you like the Pluglock then?

there is also get rocca modular (similar to the old mk accent modular range)

A friend of mine wants to hardwire a TV booster in, as people keep turning it off in his B&B.
What "people"?

Who are they? Where are they? Why are they there?

Where is the TV booster? Why is it there? Where are the TVs it serves?

Why do these "people" think it's down to them to turn it off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back