Candy Washer dryer condensor pipe blocked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Candy Washer dryer, model number GVW 496T-80

The dyrer stopped working recently. After pressing the thermal reset button on top of the inside of the machine, it would work. It would then stop working again as it would overheat once more.

I removed the metal "exhaust" on top the machine that connects into the drum, that has the fan motor on top. There was lint everywhere on the inside, blocking airflow and causing it to overheat. I removed as much of this as i could, however the "exhaust" continues down the back of the machine, on a plastic part that is built onto the drum. A repair engineer has advised it will be blcoked further down, and you cannot get to it, or remove this as it sbuitl onto the drum

So my question is, can i pour sink unblocker/vinegar and bicarb down there to try and dissolve the fluff thats lodged further down there than i can reach?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a vacuum cleaner with a flexible hose that you could push down it or attach it to a piece of hose of a suitable diameter if the vac hose will not go down.

Unfortunately the gap that goes down is really small, probably only 20mm wide at best. Also the further down you go, the wetter it all is. As it drains away into the bottom of the drum, it's wet and claggy

I'm not familiar with this type of machine but just trying to help. So if you can't suck it out can you turn the machine upside down or tilt it far enough to drag the sludge out with a straightened wire coat hanger or similar. Is the repairer suggesting you need a new drum?

Sponsored Links
Its not a bad shout. I did put a coat hanger down there was far as i could and pulled as much out as i could. I think it goes right down under, much further than i can reach, into the drum. He did say if me clearing it as much as i can doesn;t clear or fix the issue, it'd be a new drum, as its a single unit! Really bad design in my eyes. Its 7 years old or so, so is had a godo amoutn of use, with 2 kids and a dog. We're waiting until we can do the kitchen up, and will integrate a new one, so need this to just go for a bit longer if i can. I've attached a pictire of the back of the drum, so you can see how i mean. The arrow shows where the air/fluff goes and you can see where it goes down. There'sa bend and its really narrow, which again is poor design. This is what made me think about pouring somethign in there to dossilve it, but im worried whatever i put down there may cause damage in other parts of the machine, or it dislodges ratehr than dissolves it, and it then all gets stuck in the pump/filter and causes that to break instead

Attachments

• washer.jpg
    washer.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 17
You can flush it down with a garden hose, it's a two man job with someone turning the tap on slowly to start with in case it backs up.
Put the machine on a rinse afterwards empty, then check the filter for any lint.

On a different note, the washer was leaking too. Turned out the soap tray (internal compartment water feed pipes are attached to, detergent draw goes into) was clogged up. Replaced that, no more leak. However, somehow now it keeps filling with bubbles in the drum when I'm rinsing. No detergent has been used, rinsed several times but each time still bubbles. Can't work out where it's coming from!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back