Cannot get heating/radiators to work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
My first post.. as I am freeezing

Combi boiler (Vokera Linea) - hot water fine
Cannot get radiators to heat. Although pipe from boiler does heat slightly. Sorry i am not too technical !! Anyway, have bled all radiators, and switched on full (so that boiler thermostat is set to full and on all the time).

A few months ago thermostat was disconnected just by disconnecting wires at boiler as the wall it was mounted on was getting knocked down. Could it be to do with this? do you have to do somethin else when disconnecting a thermostat so that the firing up of the heating is overridden so that the boiler knows it is no longer communicating with a thermostat?
or will it be the pump or a valve do you think?

thanks for any help.
i did see another post on here which suggested it could be a valve that has got stuck, but it wasnt for a combi boiler so i am not sure

Sponsored Links
Originally where the room stat was connected would possibly have been a link and if so when disconnecting an external control the link should be replaced or the room stat reconnected.

the room thermostat tells the boiler when to turn the heating on.

you took it off so what do you think happens?

sorry if I sound rude but I am not sure if you are pulling our leg.

Ah I wasnt pulling your leg! I seriously did not know that disconnecting the thermostat would do this, i thought it would revert to just being controlled via the boiler dials. better replace thermostat or replace link then and that should simply do the job

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes, best fit a new thermostat, or refit the old one.

A basic room stat can cost as little as £8, but you can buy a wireless or programmable one for £120 or more if you want. IMO the more complex ones are more likely to go wrong.

sorry to bother you both again, but i am a real beginner..
i have found i have to replace a link in the wiring.
i just do not know what wire to buy for this job, as the original link (which was removed to add the thermostat) has been lost. it was a black wire. will any black colourcoded wire do?

i will get round to replaceing the thermostat but this is a temporary fix

cheers

Using the same size wire that was used to go to the thermostat should be sufficient, the coloured is imaterial as long as it is left short and looks like a link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back