Can't remove light fixture

Sponsored Links
Ooh! I like smashy bashy tools!

How much? [Drool.....]
£30 on amazon. Was £45+VAT in my local independent tool shop that we use every now and again, and I was tempted at that price just after picking it up.

It just feels nice. They do heavier ones but 16oz is plenty for cable clips

Sponsored Links
Yes you don't want anything too heavy in case you miss the clip! I lost a fingernail that way last year...
I didn't do any serious damage, but I was drilling a hole in a joist last week with a 32mm spade bit, my drill caught, and it caught hard, slammed round trapping my fingertip between the battery and the floorboard, and to top it off, the trigger managed to get stuck on! You couldn't make it up!

My mate had to bend the drill bit by pushing forcing the drill off me.

Drill had to be replaced

Yes you don't want anything too heavy in case you miss the clip! I lost a fingernail that way last year...
F....f...f.....f....Ouch!

I hit one of my fingernails in 1990 leaving a massive dent. It finally grew out this Summer!

Ok. Well the room is well lit, so the light is not critical.

I like the super glue idea. I am thinking that if i take something the strength and shape of a tape measure, glue it on, and then grab and rotate, it might work. Otherwise I think smashy smashy might be the answer. But

OK.

Well, the fixture has been removed. I didn't need to smashy smashy, but I did have to trash the light fixture.

I have now purchased a new light fixture. I have a new question now. Pictured is what remains of the old fixture. there is one screw holding it to SOMETHING. Can you tell me from the pictures if what it is screwed to is part of the fixture, or is that the mounting onto which I would mount the new fixture? it looks like an awful lot of wires, so I thought that was internal to the fixture.

I am trying to decide if I need an electrician.

Attachments

• IMG_20170129_115526.jpg
    IMG_20170129_115526.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20170129_115845.jpg
    IMG_20170129_115845.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20170129_115855.jpg
    IMG_20170129_115855.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20170129_115947.jpg
    IMG_20170129_115947.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 63
I'm not quite sure what is wrong, but basically you need to turn off the main fuse box, unscrew the terminals holding the white wires in, attach the new fitting to the ceiling, and screw the wires of the new fitting in their place Matching L with brown and N with blue as appropriate. If the fitting has an earth or e then connect to the stripy green and yellow terminals in the ceiling. While you're at it ideally you'd put the terminal blocks in a proper enclosure, but as a minimum it'd be good to wrap them in electrical tape to avoid shorts.

The screw is attaching what's left of the light fitting to the ceiling. There is no 'mounting' - it's just the ceiling.

Those wires and connectors are part of the building wiring, and really should be pulled out of the ceiling to see exactly what has been done there. However at least some of those wires may be live even with the light turned off, and disconnecting any of them is likely to result in other lights in other rooms not working.

I am trying to decide if I need an electrician.
Probably.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back