Car test for older cars.

It depends on whether its a footbrake or handbrake problem mate - the efficiency can be remarkably low on the back, but the pull to each wheel needs to be equal.
Lets know!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back shoes (I think) need to be adjusted, as the automatic adjusters don't work properly. You will need to take off the drums to do this. But hopefully as John has said, they will be good enough to pass.

The back brakes should not actually lock with the foot brake.

Good luck

The report says, Rear Brakes not locking on foot brake test. I'm gonna run it through now shortly anyway, so see what comes back

How typical is this? The brakes passed no problem. And so that should mean the car has passed the test shouldn't it? Well, it failed. Once again it's my old friend the anti-roll bars. Front and rear have worn links. Not Bushes, just links. I have no idea what this fix costs although the tester assured me it was inexpensive. Off side front and offside rear.

I mean it's not even relevant enough to be unsafe. Very frustrating. AND I'll have to pay for the retest because the car has to go up on the ramp again! :( Ah well......

Sponsored Links
I can't visualise the Carina set up particularly, but I guess its the drop links or stabilisers that have wear on them....these connect the anti roll bar to the rear suspension units and they do get a hard life.
Over here I don't actually think they are tested (unless general suspension tests covers them), but at least we can return the vehicle (fixed) for a no charge retest over a certain time period.
Nearly there - another year on the tarmac!
Thanks for the update.

It used to be a "fail advisory". Also, retests that don't require the ramp or use of testing equipment are free of charge. This one needs the ramp and so I'll have to pay. :( I'm starting to wonder if I should just book the test and pay 83 quid next time, to include the 55 test fee and the seemingly compulsory 28 retest fee! Never fails on anything other than stuff like this. Wrecks my head!
And the point of getting the Lane test done at the autoservice centre was to know what to expect. They didn't find the fault that the test centre found, and they did find a "fault" with brakes which the test centre did not find! Where does one go from here!!! :evil:

Thanks for all your help John, as usual! :D

Well, you'll need to get those suspension links done...after that you're at least mobile :p
Its worth popping those rear drums off and seeing what lies beneath in the form of leaking wheel cylinders, poor brake shoes and the like. Once these are done, they can often be left alone for a year or two.
Hell - MOT's are expensive over there...I'm still paying £25 at HiQ here, and if the car fails they see if the work has been done without a re-test.

Yes expensive and yes, very few pass on the first test. As far as I can see, all failures are "bad enough" to justify more money.

A real revenue generator

Just a quick question? When it says the Drop links front and rear "offside", that means just 2 of the 4 drop links right?

Got a quote today to get the 4 done @ a discount price of 30 euro each? Think I'm going to ask for 2 @ 60 euro? Is 30 euro each a good price does anyone know? I haven't a clue whats involved at all.

That sounds ok.

They may not be able to do 2 for 60, but worth a try

Sponsored Links
Back