Carbon monoxide detector. How to read etc...

Did you follow the emergency procedure as described in the video? If you have open plan, is it the cooker/grill that’s being detected as background CO if it’s a gas appliance.

I do have a gas stove in the kitchen. It's all open planned with trifold door separating kitchen/dining from living room.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
As suggested, have a good read through the manual.

I think the more concerning thing here though is that your detector is telling you that it has detected ( small symbol in the right corner) or is detecting CO - last reading is 33PPM (alarm is usually set off @ 50ppm).

Ideally the CO should be @ 0.

The green flashing light is normal operation and shows that the detector is active.

Whatever is creating the CO (multifuel stove?) needs to be shut down and not used again until it can be checked and tested for safe operation.

I keep pressing the button even with no fire on and that icon keeps appearing with it reading 0ppm even thou no fire or gas stove been lite all day

Then thats why it is reading 0ppm.
If you have not been using any of the relevant appliances then no CO will be present. Hence the reading of 0ppm

I think you are over thinking this. These alarms are designed to sound off long before 'too' dangerous levels are reached, not when it is too late.
However, as @Madrab says, if you are getting a reading then maybe you should have your appliances checked and cleaned as a matter of precaution. The ideal reading is 0ppm.

I keep pressing the button even with no fire on and that icon keeps appearing
The icon shows that a high level of CO (probably 33ppm), was recorded in your absence:

Screenshot_20230221-160332_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20230221-160356_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Very confusing this if it is a flashing green light and the icon means dangerous.
Screenshot_20230221-160805_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The green flashing light is there to tell you the device is operating correctly.

0ppm even thou no fire or gas stove been lite all day
That's what it should be reading, 0ppm - zero Parts Per Million of Carbon Monoxide detected in the air.

I have a multi fuel stove lite tonight and won't reset it again untill tomorrow morning to see what it reads.
Pressing the large button sets the ppm from 33 to zero.

You are not resetting the counter on the device - you are changing the display mode between a real-time display of the CO and the peak amount previously detected (within the last four weeks).

You need to get your stove (and any other gas appliances) checked by a qualified person.
Make sure any vents that you have are open and not blocked.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
The icon shows that a high level of CO (probably 33ppm), was recorded in your absence:

View attachment 296423
View attachment 296424

View attachment 296422
The green flashing light is there to tell you the device is operating correctly.

That's what it should be reading, 0ppm - zero Parts Per Million of Carbon Monoxide detected in the air.

You are not resetting the counter on the device - you are changing the display mode between a real-time display of the CO and the peak amount previously detected (within the last four weeks).

You need to get your stove (and any other gas appliances) checked by a qualified person.
Make sure any vents that you have are open and not blocked.

I must be getting reading it wrong. The alarm in absence isn't showing without me pressing the button. It only shows when I press it.

I tried to make a video of how I use it but it's not letting me post it
Here's an example of what I'm doing. I have the alarm one-3 meters away from the stove. On the digital screen it is showing the temperature of the room. I would hit the large button and then it would switch to the ppm reading. It's mostly reading 0ppm however there is times once I hit this button for it to switch to the ppm , it has read up to 33ppm. After I see this reading, I would keep my finger on the large button and it would read 0ppm.

Now that it is of concern, I will be testing it tonight. I have a fire on in the multifuel stove, strip vents in the 2 windows opened and the detector will be 1m away from the stove.

In the mean time, I have purchased another 2 newer version of the fireangle detectors. They will be here in 7 days time. I will now have 2 in the living room, the new fireangel and one I already have. Two other ones in the kitchen,/dining which will be the new fireangel and the other type shown in pics.

must be getting reading it wrong. The alarm in absence isn't showing without me pressing the button. It only shows when I press it.
Ok, I took it from your photo and description, that the symbol was being displayed continuously.

In which case, it is displaying the peak CO reading recorded in the last four weeks. It displays the reading when you briefly press the button to change display modes.
Again, from the manual...

Screenshot_20230221-182255_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20230221-182305_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Ok, I took it from your photo and description, that the symbol was being displayed continuously.

In which case, it is displaying the peak CO reading recorded in the last four weeks. It displays the reading when you briefly press the button to change display modes.
Again, from the manual...

View attachment 296443
View attachment 296444

Yes I understand now. Peak reading at 33ppm is concerning. I will check later tonight to see if it's a daily high reading.

The reading was never really checked TBH. Maybe over the course of a year or two a few times it has read in the 20s. I hadn't really checked it because didn't really understand how it worked. I was always of the understanding that an alarm had to go off if it was anyway dangerous.

Thank you for clearing this up!

Peak reading at 33ppm is concerning. I will check later tonight to see if it's a daily high reading.
As mentioned, that is a peak reading for the last four weeks. Unless a new reading peaks higher than that, the display will still show 33ppm, until four weeks have passed since that peak reading was recorded.
Yes it is a little concerning, but,
. I was always of the understanding that an alarm had to go off if it was anyway dangerous.
the alarms will go off if the situation was really hazardous.

What the detector has shown is that there may be a developing problem, that needs to be addressed.
It has warned you that the CO concentration has been raised, but at levels that will not currently cause harm.

Keep safe :)

It could be a faulty alarm, but for clarity and safety is probably best getting it checked by an engineer - gas safe if gas appliance, solid fuel engineer for solid fuel, et al. I wouldn’t purchase more fireangel in case they’re faulty. We use Aico alarms, these are excellent alarms, and you can download specific information from the alarm, including how many background CO have been recorded, then it’ll give you low, medium and high CO reading if applicable, and other information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back