What could be the fault. Carbon monoxide!

Have the stove checked by a GasSafe engineer. Just because you can't detect gas doesn't mean there isn't something faulty.
It may be something simple, like lack of ventilation. I wouldn't know as I'm not a gas fitter or gas trained in any shape or form.
But that would be my immediate, and I mean immediate, course of action.
Carbon monoxide is a definite, and silent, killer. I would not use it until it has been thoroughly checked out by a qualified engineer.
you are only gas qualified if you pay a fee to the TV licencing people, CAPITA Plc. It has nothing to do with knowledge. Also having an NVQ does not make you an engineer....unless you accept my scout first aid certificate as a qualification to be a surgical reg...

Sponsored Links
you are only gas qualified if you pay a fee to the TV licencing people, CAPITA Plc. It has nothing to do with knowledge. Also having an NVQ does not make you an engineer....unless you accept my scout first aid certificate as a qualification to be a surgical reg...
What on earth are you babbling on about?

What on earth are you babbling on about?
gas safe is a register, nothing else. You pay to be a member of the register. If you don't pay, you are not registered. So at 11.59pm I'm registered, 00.01 I'm not. The people who operate the register are capita plc who collect the TV licence fee

Sponsored Links
Quite unusual to have a domestic gas appliance run of lpg.
Not at all unusual.
Each gas appliance ( boiler, gas hob or oven ) can be natural gas or lpg
4 yr old flaven 6 ring stove cooker
so for 4 years a gas appliance meant to run lpg has been running on NG jets! This takes the biscuit.
DP, do you not understand my post above. I am away for the week. Ive had someone go look at it and he says I need to change the jets! What more can I do if I'm away working untill xmass eve!
As a gas engineer I do not understand how you can have an appliance meant to run on NG running on LPG. I am left wondering if it is a DIY job. Every gas hob I have ever fitted comes with said jets. Who in his right mind would commit the sin that has been realised. You being away for a week, fortnight or a month is if no consequence as the appliance has been a flame thrower for 4 years or is it a second hand appliance which may not even be safe to use. As for the engineer attending, wonder if he is qualified.

Not at all unusual.
Each gas appliance ( boiler, gas hob or oven ) can be natural gas or lpg

so for 4 years a gas appliance meant to run lpg has been running on NG jets! This takes the biscuit.

As a gas engineer I do not understand how you can have an appliance meant to run on NG running on LPG. I am left wondering if it is a DIY job. Every gas hob I have ever fitted comes with said jets. Who in his right mind would commit the sin that has been realised. You being away for a week, fortnight or a month is if no consequence as the appliance has been a flame thrower for 4 years or is it a second hand appliance which may not even be safe to use. As for the engineer attending, wonder if he is qualified.

Yes, unfortunately it might have been running for 4 years on the jets. The alarm has only been going off recently though. Why's this I'm wondering.

It was a brand new appliance! He was a gas engineer as far as I knew. Now though I'm not to sure if he was. He was recommended by a friend.

This issue has only came to light now that the alarm has been going off. It will get fixed pronto.

For what it's worth thou. I'll get you pics of the jet tomorrow. I'll ask for pics to get sent to me and I'll post them.

you wont spot the difference by eye if someone dumped one in your hand and asked you which it was.

CH4 + 2O2 > CO2 +2H2O
or
C4H10 +6.5O2 > 4CO2 + 5H2O
really the composition is not that exact with LPG, but it shows you it needs very different flow rates to work correctly.

the LPG jet will flow less than a 1/3rd of the Natural gas jet, but the diameter change will be quite small.
You have been lucky to get away with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: DP
Yes, unfortunately it might have been running for 4 years on the jets. The alarm has only been going off recently though. Why's this I'm wondering.

It was a brand new appliance! He was a gas engineer as far as I knew. Now though I'm not to sure if he was. He was recommended by a friend.

This issue has only came to light now that the alarm has been going off. It will get fixed pronto.

For what it's worth thou. I'll get you pics of the jet tomorrow. I'll ask for pics to get sent to me and I'll post them.
As few other poster have said, get the issue resolved. That is essential. No need to post pictures
Person carrying out the work needs to be gas safe registered, hold tickets for hobs and be LPG gas qualified too

gas safe is a register, nothing else. You pay to be a member of the register. If you don't pay, you are not registered. So at 11.59pm I'm registered, 00.01 I'm not. The people who operate the register are capita plc who collect the TV licence fee
But surely to register you have to show proof that you are a qualified gas engineer?
To gain access to the Combustion Chamber on here You have to show proof which, I am sure they check before allowing you in.
Electricians, (as far as I am aware), have to show their qualifications and also have their work checked periodically to see they are still maintaing those standards.

But surely to register you have to show proof that you are a qualified gas engineer?
To gain access to the Combustion Chamber on here You have to show proof which, I am sure they check before allowing you in.
Electricians, (as far as I am aware), have to show their qualifications and also have their work checked periodically to see they are still maintaing those standards.
Spot on.
Competence is by 5 yearly resit and then yearly payment to Gas Safe for registration
One could be doing gas work for eternity, means nothing if 5 year certification lapsed or GS not paid annually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back