What could be the fault. Carbon monoxide!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas stove for cooking in my kitchen with 6 rings.

Lately anytime I cook on it my angel carbon monoxide alarms go off. One in the living room and one in the kitchen.

Where would the fault be. There is no gas leaking. It's just when I use the stove.

Once I open the windows and doors the reading on the detector goes to normal.

Sponsored Links
Have the stove checked by a GasSafe engineer. Just because you can't detect gas doesn't mean there isn't something faulty.
It may be something simple, like lack of ventilation. I wouldn't know as I'm not a gas fitter or gas trained in any shape or form.
But that would be my immediate, and I mean immediate, course of action.
Carbon monoxide is a definite, and silent, killer. I would not use it until it has been thoroughly checked out by a qualified engineer.

1. Carbon monoxide alarms don't detect natural gas.
2. If any of the hob rings are partially obstructed, the gas may not burn properly, causing Carbon Monoxide to be given off. A possible indicator is if any of the flames are burning yellow rather than blue.
3. The advice conny has given you above is absolutely correct. Don't use the hob until you have had it checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Sound advice given above - you have an Immediately Dangerous gas appliance causing fumes to escape into a room, Ventilation sort of applies, but more to do with the size of the room and openable doors and or windows. As mentioned could be poor/incomplete combustion.

Could be that you’re using the wrong sized pan bases, or a large pan base over a couple of burners? Does it have a grill and or oven?

Sponsored Links
Where would the fault be. There is no gas leaking. It's just when I use the stove.

Once I open the windows and doors the reading on the detector goes to normal.

The CO alarms do not detect (natural) gas, they detect carbon monoxide, which is deadly and you will not notice it by smell, or etc.. Do any of the 6 rings, burn with any but a clear, blue flame? A yellow flame, means carbon monoxide is being produced, which is a result of incomplete combustion.

EDITED, to add the word 'natural'.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBW
size of pans you are using can also cause incomplete combustion

Before we start getting into semantics, can we all agree, the OP needs to get a Gas Safe engineer out as soon as possible to check this all over and declare it unsafe/safe?

What is it a gas engineer actually does when testing?

Might be best getting one who holds a cmdda1 qualification, as an engineer without might just go by the flame picture. Someone who holds that qualification will carry out an in-depth investigation with Q&A.

They look at the gas mixture and should be able to restore the hob/grill to performing safely.
Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer as it has no smell. If they get you in time the only cure is taking you to 6 bar in a hyberbaric chamber, nothing else works.

It could just be some spillover that has partly blocked one or more of the rings. But they will have the equipment to check it is operating safely.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back