Cast iron fireplace surround install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the existing wooden fire surround in our 96 built bryant property and have a few questions if someone would be kind enough to help?

The existing wooden surround removal was simple but I found that the cast iron insert was not attached to the wall securely and literally just came away from it when the surround was removed. It looks like it had been attached with fire cement and also has a large lump of fibreglass insulation in the centrepoint where it attaches to the wall. It also took part of the cement lining of the fire recess with it. The walls are drylined and there is a halo of fire cement around the hole where the living flame gas fire sits.

Should I just try to reattach it to the wall with fire cement leaving the piece of rockwool where it was or is there a better way of doing it?

TIA

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back