Castle Care / Pyronix Euro 46

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I bought my current house in June of this year and realised pretty quickly that I didn't have everything I needed for the installed alarm system. I am hoping someone with greater insight than I can help me understand things, as I've not engaged with alarm systems before.

The system that is installed is a Castle Care / Pyronix Euro 46 and I do know the User PIN and how to change it but I do not know the Manager / Master Manager (I think they're the same thing) and neither does the previous owner.

I believe I need this Manager PIN to do various useful things like set the date and time (which are currently incorrect), review logs and change between full set and flexi-set. So I've arranged with the previous owner to get a security company around (not the one who installed the system as they've long gone) and they would pay for the situation to be remedied.

Oh, the default Manager PIN is supposed to be "2222", but I've confirmed that it's not that.

I think we both thought that an approved / registered (is there a correct term here?) security company would come around and they would know how to 'reset' the system and then I'd get a new Manager PIN.

Unfortunately the company did visit and they said there's no way to get the Manager PIN from the system, nor is there any way to reset it, and they have said that "a new panel" is needed.

I've no problem with this, as I'll not be the one actually paying but I wanted to ask a few questions of the forum if that's OK...

By "new panel" does this mean the LCD keypad entry item or the big metal box item? What does "panel" refer to in intruder alarm terms?

If it's just the keypad (seems odd, to me, if that's the case) then where do you buy such a thing - I've scoured the Internet and you can only seem to buy Euro 46 systems that come as keypad and big metal box together - ranging from prices like £88 to £126 - depending on whether they are 2X or 3X or come with a modem or not. So, does it sound like we're talking about two parts that need replacing - the keypad and the big metal box?

Secondly, how do I understand what model I currently have? Do I just assume it's a Euro 46 S Grade 2X? I don't believe it communicates out and I certainly don't pay anyone a fee. When I change the User PIN it is 4 digits long. It feels like it's the basic model in the Euro 46 range, can I confirm that somehow?

If I wanted to add another PIR and didn't want to do it in a hard-wired way - can I add wireless connectivity to this system?

I believe I might want to look at the EURO ZEM32 WE... which runs at about £60... but then I'd also need a PIR as well - am I probably looking at something like a single Pyronix Enforcer KX12DQ Wireless PIR... running at about £40?

If I decide to have a EURO ZEM32 WE added... is that another metal box near the current metal box, or could it be a modular add-on board that is placed inside the existing metal box?

I would be very grateful for anyone who will take the time to help me better understand the queries I have and the options for upgrading, it's all rather new to me right now and the research I'm doing is helpful but I'm not there yet.

Sponsored Links
There are a few euro 46 panels but all program the same with a few slight differences , you say you don't have any codes at all ? Did the other company try to reset the panel ? Also depending on age of panel it may support the 32 zone wireless expander depending on software version , to be honest never had to default a 46 will check tomorrow and let you know .

I have my User PIN only, so I am secure... but other features require this Manager PIN, which no-one has. The alarm company guy did not try to reset anything. Really he just said something about the codes being locked, it not being possible to get them and that a new panel would be required.

Is the panel the keypad or the big box with security screws on it? I'm assuming the latter.

Personally, I would think everything could be reset... and we could get back to defaults of 1234 and 2222 for User and Manager, somehow, but he said "no". I was surprised.

Is there a way of me finding out what exact model this is? Anything I can eyeball?

Have you tried D button then enter your code ? This should take you into user/ manager menu . Once in scroll round the menus untill it says exit user/manager menu.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I can certainly do that. I did it earlier to change my User PIN to 1234 before the alarm company guy came around.

However, I can't do anything even as simple as changing the date / time in there as a User only. I need to have the Manager PIN to be able to do that kind of stuff.

Basically, I think I am currently limited to set, unset and changing my [a] User PIN. I want to be able to switch between full and flexi-set, update the date and time and review logs... all things that only a Manager can do, if I read things correctly.

I think - regardless of all that - I should have the Manager PIN anyway. I can understand The Engineer PIN being withheld from me (by the installation company, I'd assume?) but the Manager PIN should be for me.

You won't get the engineer code as it stops people "playing with the alarm " which could cause the system to not operate in a break in ! The last owner probably changed the code then forgot all about it. Has the original company gone bust ?

Just to be clear... there are 3 levels of PIN, I expect to know 2, but not the third, which is the Engineer's PIN.

I know the User PIN, so I can happily set, unset and change the User PIN.

I don't know (nobody knows) the Manager PIN (sometimes referred to as Master Manager, think those terms are interchangeable) and I need this to do other things like set the date and time etc..

I don't know (nobody knows) the Engineer PIN, but that's OK, because I should not know it anyway.

I am told that I need a "new panel" to get the Manager PIN back under my control. I reckon this will run to about £100. Does that seem right? Or isn't there a way with this system, once you have unset the system and gained access (properly) to the property that someone can go into the main box hanging on the wall and either remove power from it or short some connection out, or press a button (if only) so that the system is fully reset to - maybe - factory default settings and I'd then end up with a User PIN of 1234 and a Manager PIN of 2222?

And I'm still not sure what a "new panel" refers to - am I correct in my assumption that this means the ~£100 box hanging on the wall (the brains) and not the plastic keypad by the door?

I know what a PIR is and I know what my door chime thing is... but does "panel" refer to the keypad or the main unit?

I will be speaking to the alarm company again today to get a better idea of the lay of the land.

Just had a quick look and wholesales showing Euro 46 at around £100.

So you would be paying more than that if someone is installing that for you.

Have you tried your pin against a master user only function?

Some times people use the master code as the code for the system.

Hi,

Yes, when I press D, then my User PIN, I get a simplified menu with some options... but these do not include the Manager PIN options, like change date and time.

So it's not that I can even try to implement a Manager-only function, because I cannot even get to see the menu item that a Manager PIN would provide to me.

The PIN you enter controls what menu options you see.

It doesn't show you all options and then, if you're a User trying to access a Manager function, it says "Sorry, you don't have access to that" it doesn't work like that.

The system also says that codes must be unique, so two different users (say a User and a Manager) cannot - apparently have the same PIN - manual says "EURO will not allow you to programme in codes that are already in use by the system."

on 4 digits theres 10000 code combos no system will allow you to have the same code twice.

Without access to engineers codes or master codes, you options are to get the system defaulted if possible or replace the panel.

Not familiar with this panel, but if the nvm is lockable and its locked then it wont be possible anyway and that leaves with guessing or replacing the unit.

Can you not get hold of the original installer, or get quotes for replacing the unit if it cant be defaulted.

on 4 digits theres 10000 code combos no system will allow you to have the same code twice.

Without access to engineers codes or master codes, you options are to get the system defaulted if possible or replace the panel.

Not familiar with this panel, but if the nvm is lockable and its locked then it wont be possible anyway and that leaves with guessing or replacing the unit.

Can you not get hold of the original installer, or get quotes for replacing the unit if it cant be defaulted.

I'd pm sparkymarka to see if he can give you a price if he covers your area.

...but if the nvm is lockable and its locked then it wont be possible anyway and that leaves with guessing or replacing the unit.

That's what it's looking like - I do recall the guy saying something about "locked"... but that was just him talking, it wasn't him checking anything. He didn't stick his head or hands into anything, just said something like "they'll be locked and impossible to get".

Well, no... that's the trouble. Original installer isn't around any more and I didn't even engage with them myself, I just bought the house. The question is all about whether it can be defaulted, I guess... the alarm company who visited is getting me a quote for "replacing the panel" and I'm curious what that would entail... does it just mean the 'brain box', or the brain box and the keypad and, yes, I agree that it looks to be around £100 to acquire... more to acquire and fit.

This is way outside my catchment area, but if the quotes come in at silly prices give me a shout and I may able to help, but it would mean a trip to see you during normal office hours.

Spoke to castle it can be unlocked BUT can you pm me need some details . Thanks mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back